Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
Elubas
AndyClifton wrote:
Elubas wrote:
It seems like half of the things I say you think have smug intentions, but I think your detectors are much too sensitive.

Funny, I thought that was you.   Anyway, smug means "self-satisfied," and lots of these polite-niks nowadays seem to be just a lit-tle too satisfied with (and sure of) themselves...

I don't get how being satisfied with yourself could be a bad thing! I hope you're satisfied with yourself too! If that's the definition of smug then everyone should try to be.

Elubas

"and lots of these polite-niks nowadays seem to be just a lit-tle too satisfied with (and sure of) themselves..."

Lots of them? Where are they, lol

royalbishop

Oh to add to the games of non resigners that have been sent or posted in various places here. One can always save them and send them to others that want to see it.

Oh it does work as many Non Resigners have stopped as their games have been seen...... I once told a guys brother about it. Hey in 2 moves he resigned.

I have 1 game on file against a VC team. If of their opponents want to see it due to trash talk i will offer it. Tequila ..... and they resign.

waffllemaster
AndyClifton wrote:

Yeah, sure.  Well, we just had a post on another thread where Ben Finegold was being a real jerk to some guy.  That sort of thing I have always viewed as typical chessplayer behavior, and it's a very large reason why I gave up the game (and the "chess world") a long time ago.

Wait, that sounds like you're saying chess players could stand a little attitude makeover.

AndyClifton

"Self-satisfied" and "satisfied with yourself" are far from synonymous, Elubas (sheesh).

AndyClifton
waffllemaster wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

Yeah, sure.  Well, we just had a post on another thread where Ben Finegold was being a real jerk to some guy.  That sort of thing I have always viewed as typical chessplayer behavior, and it's a very large reason why I gave up the game (and the "chess world") a long time ago.

Wait, that sounds like you're saying chess players could stand a little attitude makeover.

All except you (turns out you're too nice, dammit!). Laughing

AndyClifton
Elubas wrote:

"and lots of these polite-niks nowadays seem to be just a lit-tle too satisfied with (and sure of) themselves..."

Lots of them? Where are they, lol

They're everywhere I go (or look).  Not sure how you're missing all of them...

Elubas

I can't find the difference, I guess.

AndyClifton
TacticalSymphony wrote:
I'm basically going into the chess world with the acknowledgement that most of us are anti-social and work well alone :p

A safe assumption indeed. Smile

royalbishop

Checkmate!

AndyClifton
Elubas wrote:

Great, now I'm turning into one of these dinks who quotes the dictionary around here (and naturally I mean "dinks" respectfully [heehee!]):

marked by excessive complacency or self-satisfaction; "a smug glow of self-congratulation"

royalbishop

Laughing

Elubas

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel I am conceited (so it seems), but I will say that I'm not. I probably wouldn't have been motivated to bitch about all of the 100% scores in TT otherwise. It's not about having a feeling of self-importance, just self-respect, self-acceptance.

AndyClifton

And meanwhile royalbishop continues to weave his outre counterpoint off in some other room (as it were)...

waffllemaster
AndyClifton wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

All except you (turns out you're too nice, dammit!). 

Heh.  On the upside on my brief return to the tourney scene I was able to go up to a number of familiar faces and chat before the tourney started.  From what I hear I guess this is pretty out of the ordinary.  Supposedly other's experiences have been a geeky, awkward, murderously competitive silence.

AndyClifton

It's not quite the same thing as conceit...it's more passive than that.  Anyway, you're still a whelp (near as I can tell); get out there in the world and get knocked around for a couple (or a couple dozen) years and you're liable to get all of that self-assuredness knocked out of you.  A process which can also serve to improve and mellow one, though not many seem prepared to acknowledge (or even notice) that fact nowadays.

AndyClifton
waffllemaster wrote:
Supposedly other's experiences have been a geeky, awkward, murderously competitive silence.

lol...couldn't have said it better myself

royalbishop

I am having a great time Andy. Turned lemons into lemonade. Wink

Checkmate #.

Elubas

I don't really know what you mean. I'm sure I will struggle a lot, but I don't see how that's going to make me want to make fun of people. Even as a kid it's not like I haven't been through some sort of stress, and I simply take it out on myself because no one deserves anything else. I've already experienced quite thoroughly conflicts with other people, being made fun of, just like everyone else. All of this self respect crap is just my response: no matter what people say about me, I don't let it change what I think of myself.

Elubas
AndyClifton wrote:
Elubas wrote:

Great, now I'm turning into one of these dinks who quotes the dictionary around here (and naturally I mean "dinks" respectfully [heehee!]):

marked by excessive complacency or self-satisfaction; "a smug glow of self-congratulation"

There is a little irony here though. And yes I don't mean disrespect Tongue Out