Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
AndyClifton
Elubas wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

Sounds a little smug to me...but then, I guess we all have our shortcomings.

Smug? I'll concede the statement is probably wimpy to most, but how is that smug? I really believe that.

How does that counteract its smugness?  It would only seem to strengthen that.

royalbishop

Games have and end. Now what happens when you beat the bad guy at the end while playing. Game Over right. Now what if your X-Box or Playstation tell you the game not over? The bad guy has mutant powers and ....

waffllemaster

Maybe it will make andy feel better to know the thoughts inside my head are often quite rude.  But if I always spoke my mind I probably woudln't have as many friends (or just people who are willing to put up with me in general heh) and it doesn't bother me to take it down a few notches (or not say anything at all) so why not.

ponz111

When a master plays on in a very easy pawn end game where he knows he is 100% lost and 100% easy and he is playing another master then the master who is losing  almost always has a motive for continuing that is not good.

royalbishop

Hey i see a King in his avatar. As i said he is the King of the NRU..

Your not fooling me bud. I knew it all along. He is the King Pin! The Enforcer

AndyClifton
waffllemaster wrote:

Maybe it will make andy feel better to know the thoughts inside my head are often quite rude.  But if I always spoke my mind I probably woudln't have as many friends (or just people who are willing to put up with me in general heh) and it doesn't bother me to take it down a few notches (or not say anything at all) so why not.

Not really.  Because now you seem to be suggesting that without the polish provided by your suave self you would be apt to come off as just another boorish yahoo...ie, somebody like me. Smile

Elubas

I'm just saying what I believe, nothing more.

And those are just ideals. I do make fun of/criticize people, inevitably, as a human but I feel wrong, even if just a little, when I do, and I generally try to hold back. Sometimes teasing can be fairly harmless too, like wafllemaster's probably was.

royalbishop

My mind to your mind your mind to my mind.

The Vulcan mind melt. When i say resign you will resign.

3 days late in a 3 Day a move game .... "Why have you not resigned?"

"Hehehehehe my mind stronger than yours"

Elubas
waffllemaster wrote:

lol, I believe this -- I think we all have these unconscious nasty thoughts Smile. Even with people I have loved, there were always things about them (usually petty) I could make fun of, even if I never said them out loud. I still felt bad for having those thoughts though Smile

royalbishop

For ever action there is a equal an opposite reaction.

Hmmmm just need to figure out how to apply that to Non Resigners.

waffllemaster
AndyClifton wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:

Not really.  Because now you seem to be suggesting that without the polish provided by your suave self you would be apt to come off as just another boorish yahoo...ie, somebody like me. 

I woudln't call it suave self, I'd call it a slight neurosis caused by my mother starting at an early age constantly telling me to think of other people's feelings.  If you can believe it I actually work on being less considerate in social situations! Tongue Out

AndyClifton

And I'm saying that making fun of/criticizing people isn't necessarily by itself wrong...regardless of what all the Alan Alda types of this age seem to think. What was that line of Benjamin Franklin's (posted on another thread around here) about how critics are the only ones who will be honest with you?  Sometimes you need that honesty.

At any rate, a good deal of the politeness nowadays is not I believe really fellow-feeling, but simply a wish to avoid unpleasantness.  It has little to do with being truly considerate at all.

Elubas
AndyClifton wrote:
Elubas wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

Sounds a little smug to me...but then, I guess we all have our shortcomings.

Smug? I'll concede the statement is probably wimpy to most, but how is that smug? I really believe that.

How does that counteract its smugness?  It would only seem to strengthen that.

I don't know, it just seems like you are saying it is smug to have a belief. Maybe you think I meant something by  "Because I know people often don't like that," but I guess I couldn't find better words. Just take it literally. It seems like half of the things I say you think have smug intentions, but I think your detectors are much too sensitive.

royalbishop

Yeah New Year's party about to start soon even sooner for some of us. The only moves some us will be thinking are on the dance floor.

AndyClifton
waffllemaster wrote:
I woudln't call it suave self, I'd call it a slight neurosis caused by my mother starting at an early age constantly telling me to think of other people's feelings.  If you can believe it I actually work on being less considerate in social situations!

I was being droll, wafflle (or at least trying to be).  Well, in that case we'll have to consider that recent showing of the "evil side" of yours to be a real breakthrough for you! Laughing

waffllemaster

When I'm tired I don't care, in real life also.  Those posts took no effort lol.

royalbishop

Tomato or tomato just trying to change the subject them.

AndyClifton
Elubas wrote:
It seems like half of the things I say you think have smug intentions, but I think your detectors are much too sensitive.

Funny, I thought that was you. Laughing  Anyway, smug means "self-satisfied," and lots of these polite-niks nowadays seem to be just a lit-tle too satisfied with (and sure of) themselves...

Elubas

"Sometimes you need that honesty.

At any rate, a good deal of the politeness nowadays is not I believe really fellow-feeling, but simply a wish to avoid unpleasantness.  It has little to do with being truly considerate at all."

I don't think you know what I mean. I am nearly the opposite of the kind of person (most people) who will tell a lie to be polite. I try to be very honest, but I will try to say it in a way/tone where I clearly don't think it's a problem. I think you can be honest and gentle, simply by stating the truth in a way that doesn't imply an attack.

That's really my point. For example, when analyzing a chess game, it's quite easy to point out all of the problems with a move, but with a certain word choice you can avoid calling your opponent stupid. That's perfectly honest and not aggressive at all.

AndyClifton

Yeah, sure.  Well, we just had a post on another thread where Ben Finegold was being a real jerk to some guy.  That sort of thing I have always viewed as typical chessplayer behavior, and it's a very large reason why I gave up the game (and the "chess world") a long time ago.