Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
Ubik42

I can't stand. What happened to my legs?

royalbishop

Loser don't quit they just resign.

kiwi-inactive

Well its your opponents choice whether he should resign or continue till "death" lol 

royalbishop

It is not their fault they are trying to learn how to spell it.

Is it which of the following

1) re sign

2) re-sign

3) reason

4) raison

5) resign

6) re-resign

7) resigyn

8) resyn

9) None of the above

10) Need more time to think about it

nameno1had
MrKornKid wrote:

I would rather have a definite loss or a definite win over a draw. Maybe it's just me but I enjoy my victories and as a beginner I learn checkmate positions when I lose.

I learn how not to lose when I draw...a preference of mine

I also prefer that I don't lose if I err...a draw is a good alternative

ponz111

It is my opponents choice when and if he will resign but it is my choice to liven up a game where clearly an opponent has ulterior motives not to resign. 

brisket

Isin't quiting in the middle of the game worse.

Elubas

Would you consider it a courtesy to resign in a position where you have a better position than your opponent? Wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? It makes life so much easier for him: he can get a bite to eat now instead of having to fight hard not to lose and having no time for the next round.

This is why I just can't grasp incorporating giving up with sportsmanship. Sure, it may make life easier for the opponent, or more convenient, but I thought the whole point of competition was the struggle to win against someone who wants to beat you.

When it comes down to it, I guess I value one's right to have everything proven to him without a doubt, no matter how obvious the end may seem, as more important than life being convenient for a winning player. That's just how it is for me. I'm not saying convenience for a winning player is entirely unimportant, but I trump the former over it! I don't know why... maybe I'm mentally insane... I know I am however a purist when it comes to the idea of competition, and epistemology is probably part of the reason for my view as well -- I prefer to limit the assumptions I make.

Elubas

Ponz:"It is my opponents choice when and if he will resign but it is my choice to liven up a game where clearly an opponent has ulterior motives not to resign. "

It's all about intentions. If he plays on with good intentions and you be creative with bad intentions, you are at fault. If he plays on with bad intentions and you are creative with good intentions, now he is at fault.

Indeed, we can't always know the opponent's intentions, and that's why I don't judge people so quickly based on ambiguous actions.

nameno1had

Elubas wrote:

"It is my opponents choice when and if he will resign but it is my choice to liven up a game where clearly an opponent has ulterior motives not to resign. "

It's all about intentions. If he plays on with good intentions and you be creative with bad intentions, you are at fault. If he plays on with bad intentions and you are creative with good intentions, now he is at fault.

Indeed, we can't always know the opponent's intentions, and that's why I don't judge people so quickly based on ambiguous actions.

Well said. There are certainly right and wrong reasons for resigning or playing, or just efficiently winning or being more elaborate in finishing the game...

AlCzervik

I'm sure many of these posts were based on good intentions...

Mason_Rust

I resign when I know it's hopeless, but there are times when it likely is hopeless, but by letting the opponent take it further, I can learn from their play.  It's good practice.

I could see it being annoying in a real life tournament when you'd like that extra half hour or so to relax before your next game.  However, if it's online play, I see no reason to have a tiff over it, much less start a thread on a forums board.

orchard_littlejoe

Stalemate is what really gets the winning person upset....and it's possible.

Pre_VizsIa
JRoma wrote:

It doesn't bother me a bit if lower rated players won't resign against me. I don't mind demonstrating the win, and the challenge is to do it in an elegant and efficient manner. Also it can teach them a thing or two about proper technique.

Typically 1700+ opponents will almost always resign clearly lost positions and I will do the same as a sign of respect. But if a lower rated wants to see the skills and practice the endgame I am more then happy to mate them.

Amen to that!

AlCzervik
Mason_Rust wrote:

I resign when I know it's hopeless, but there are times when it likely is hopeless, but by letting the opponent take it further, I can learn from their play.  It's good practice.

There have been times when I'm sure I'm going to lose, but I would like to see how the other (high rated) player takes advantage. In these instances, I simply write that in the chat.

motherinlaw

Chat's a good way to avoid misunderstandings --- "The handwriting's on the wall and I could resign -- or would you like a chance to practice your endgame?" (Note:  I'm Really familiar with posing this question --- not so much with being so queried. Cry Wink

Elubas

lol, brilliant -- we actually say what our intentions are in the chat! Laughing

motherinlaw
Bicarbonatofsoda wrote:

newsflash!!

chessplayers on chess.com discover purpose for written word!!

hailed as a miracle.

Why, thank you.  But it was nothing.  Really.  Seriously --- Nothing!! Cool

U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

I don't think my draws would be too happy with me if I gave them up for losses every time things were uncomfortable

AlCzervik
motherinlaw wrote:

Chat's a good way to avoid misunderstandings --- "The handwriting's on the wall and I could resign -- or would you like a chance to practice your endgame?" (Note:  I'm Really familiar with posing this question --- not so much with being so queried.  ) 

I've received good responses. They know they're going to win and also know I just want to see how they will go about it. Some have elaborated where the turning point was, or where they gained advantage.