Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
royalbishop

The thing is that this evolved from players not resigning to taking a vacation when it was 2-3 moves to mate. Also if it was a 7+ move a day game the player would take almost all the time to move. So 2 moves times 7 is 14 days for a game to end. Then they take a vacation for a couple days then move and just 1 move before mate they take all of their 30 days vacation.

This is the person that makes one to think i can not stand them.

royalbishop

People invite poeple to a group mainly for 2 reasons.

1st they like them.

2nd they can improve the group because they are so active, help them win, they are popular and more members will follow or they are a new group that desperately needs new members.

The first one is more often the case.

GameTheoryOptimal

Well, I think there's a difference between finishing the game and stalling it out like that. I mean, not everyone does this. If you're talking about just a couple of days, that sound fine, but a couple of weeks is really dragging it out. I see your point. But it's not everyone.

StevieSmiley
royalbishop wrote:

The thing is that this evolved from players not resigning to taking a vacation when it was 2-3 moves to mate. Also if it was a 7+ move a day game the player would take almost all the time to move. So 2 moves times 7 is 14 days for a game to end. Then they take a vacation for a couple days then move and just 1 move before mate they take all of their 30 days vacation.

This is the person that makes one to think i can not stand them.

eh, I see this enough in blitz games. Annoying as hell sitting around one move from mate, or after you did some major damage ( take a queen etc. ) I wouldnt want to do a game based on days.

royalbishop

See at this time of the year they do not do it as often. But when summer time comes they are out in full force on this site.

Like i say things evolve on this site. Players start requesting 1 day a move games to speed it up. Then they run to live chess as another opiont and play minute games. Those players tactics evolved into something else. Players only wanting white in a game. That about sums up the recent history.

Upgrayedd

See, I have no use for someone who'd abuse the clock just to evade a loss, or to make the other player's life harder.  On the other hand, it doesnt seem sportsmanlike to resign just because it's only 3-4 moves away from mate.  If it were me, I'd be inclined to play my final moves promptly, and take checkmate like a man.  To my very inexperienced eye, resigning just a few moves ahead of mate (time considerations aside) seems cowardly and childish ... a refusal to let the natural consequences of one's loss play themselves out, and suffer the results of one's mistakes.

AndyClifton
Elubas wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:
Elubas wrote:

I can't find the difference, I guess.

Great, now I'm turning into one of these dinks who quotes the dictionary around here (and naturally I mean "dinks" respectfully [heehee!]):

marked by excessive complacency or self-satisfaction; "a smug glow of self-congratulation"

There is a little irony here though. And yes I don't mean disrespect

Afraid I don't see it.  Grouchy old jerks like me are never complacent.

royalbishop
Upgrayedd wrote:

See, I have no use for someone who'd abuse the clock just to evade a loss, or to make the other player's life harder.  On the other hand, it doesnt seem sportsmanlike to resign just because it's only 3-4 moves away from mate.  If it were me, I'd be inclined to play my final moves promptly, and take checkmate like a man.  To my very inexperienced eye, resigning just a few moves ahead of mate (time considerations aside) seems cowardly and childish ... a refusal to let the natural consequences of one's loss play themselves out, and suffer the results of one's mistakes.

Aaaah i have that covered.

Say your  on a couple Team on this site and very valuable player like on board 3 of most matches. And your teams are in tournaments. You have already joined a couple other games the other day to help your teams and figure you will finish up about 5 in 3 days.

And a couple guyts are about to be mated will not move or resign until the last minute each move. Now you need to reduce your games being played as they are hi as it is. And with games finished you will have more time to focus better on the league game/team matches.  Now it can be easy to lose track of which opponent is about to mated and moving slowly across a couple days. And that Non Resigner knowns it and thinks he has a very good chance for a Time Out. Even a blunder with a lower chance.

mattahice10

When I die, bury me inside the Gucci store.

royalbishop

How much and where are your chess sets?

Elubas

Well, it's just that you were willing to even use the dictionary just to prove you had the correct precise meanings. I had checked out the online sources too, and saw definitions like that, but I didn't see the point in arbitrarily making a phrase mean something that its components contradicted ("self-satisfied"). Many definitions insist that it has to be excessive satisfaction or complacence, but it's an arbitrary decision to me. I was just going by a breakdown of the two words. I think it is saying something that you would go so far to make a moot point when you knew what I meant.

I know there is likely no convincing you that I am not a "smuggie"; maybe I haven't worded my opinions perfectly, but I try to just state what I believe succinctly (even though many would disagree that I succeed in this which is fair enough), and leave it at that. I generally don't try to further imply anything about myself because of that.

And yes, occasionally I may have an exaggerated tone, but it tends to be pretty soft and playful I would hope. I'm sorry if you didn't appreciate that, but most kidding tends to be a lot more aggressive than my posts.

royalbishop
Elubas wrote:

Well, it's just that you were willing to even use the dictionary just to prove you had the correct precise meanings. I had checked out the online sources too, and saw definitions like that, but I didn't see the point in arbitrarily making a phrase mean something that its components contradicted ("self-satisfied"). Many definitions insist that it has to be excessive satisfaction or complacence, but it's an arbitrary decision to me. I was just going by a breakdown of the two words. I think it is saying something that you would go so far to make a moot point when you knew what I meant.

I know there is likely no convincing you that I am not a "smuggie"; maybe I haven't worded my opinions perfectly, but I try to just state what I believe succinctly (even though many would disagree that I succeed in this which is fair enough), and leave it at that. I generally don't try to further imply anything about myself because of that.

And yes, occasionally I may have an exaggerated tone, but it tends to be pretty soft and playful I would hope. I'm sorry if you didn't appreciate that, but most kidding tends to be a lot more aggressive than my posts.

In case you erase it i got the quote and copy paste.

Now i need something to help me understand this new twist. How does this relate to what we are talking about here?

royalbishop

Going to Mexico and get some Tequila where we can speak the same language and clearly understand each other.

Vamos amigos. Yo quiero.......

waffllemaster

@royalbishop

See Elubas and Andy's conversation over the last page or so.

kenikinkoo

resignation is a fools way out of a failing game i've stood my ground and come out a winner...Cool

nameno1had
kenikinkoo wrote:

resignation is a fools way out of a failing game i've stood my ground and come out a winner...

That is why I posted this (see below) on number 152...

The " Draw if you can, when you can't win" club is now accepting membership applications....keep applying during all applicable games and victory will be yours soon.... ;-)

MrKornKid

I would rather have a definite loss or a definite win over a draw. Maybe it's just me but I enjoy my victories and as a beginner I learn checkmate positions when I lose.

royalbishop
nameno1had wrote:
kenikinkoo wrote:

resignation is a fools way out of a failing game i've stood my ground and come out a winner...

That is why I posted this (see below) on number 152...

The " Draw if you can, when you can't win" club is now accepting membership applications....keep applying during all applicable games and victory will be yours soon.... ;-)

I want to Admin of it. We can make it #1 on here.

Without winning a game.

ponz111

I can't stand people who can't stand people who can't stand people who don't resign!

I do not agree with the notion that if you are playing a live game and you are rated under 1600 then don't resign.

rooperi

I cant stand people!