Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
AlCzervik

Yes, but that rabbit was weak, and was soon surrounded by hawks!

Pre_VizsIa
Bicarbonatofsoda wrote:

newsflash!!

chessplayers on chess.com discover purpose for written word!!

hailed as a miracle.

It's all Elubas' fault!

royalbishop

I see a rat and cheese.

The rat saw the cheese on the trap.

Yet he will go take the cheese and gets away. At this moment is what it feels like when they do not resign.

Any your remains and are just confused. That is what it like when they do not resign in a clearly lost situation. The cheese it the time of play which it is mate in x amount of moves. Him getting away represents it will happen again, trap is obvious the lost situation for opponent, trap =win.

Then later the rat comes out to middle of the room and looks at you in the other room. As you come foward he stairs. Another comes where  the first is located and also stairs. "What to do?"

ponz111

I am not used to resigning so guess I do not know the etiquette Laughing

royalbishop
FirebrandX wrote:

It doesn't bother me if people don't resign in a blatantly lost position. I just keep it in mind when they request a rematch ;-)

Hahahahaha

AlCzervik
ponz111 wrote:

I am not used to resigning so guess I do not know the etiquette

Well, then, you've probably had others resign against you? Stop pulling our leg, ponz!

royalbishop
AlCzervik wrote:
ponz111 wrote:

I am not used to resigning so guess I do not know the etiquette

Well, then, you've probably had others resign against you? Stop pulling our leg, ponz!

Did he mean re sign or reason with him. Just saying as they have been talking about spelling here.

royalbishop

Just click the button "Resign" and move on to the next game.

invictusmortus

I dont wish to stereotype, but I've found USA players hardly ever seem to resign hopeless positions.  Could this be that because of the belief that 'only losers are quitters' ?  

Doggy_Style
invictusmortus wrote:

I dont wish to stereotype, but I've found USA players hardly ever seem to resign hopeless positions.  Could this be that because of the belief that 'only losers are quitters' ?  

motherinlaw
invictusmortus wrote:

You make a good point about the "American Character."  -- confirmed by Johnny Cash, clearly(!).  The only guy who really got away with his reputation intact after surrendering was Robert E. Lee, ending the Civil War.  Of course bunches of Southerners are still too mad at the Yankees to say Anything bad about Any Confederate general. ;-)

motherinlaw
chess_gg wrote:
invictusmortus wrote:

How can you say that you "don't wish to stereotype" and then make a universal statement?

And, just how many U.S.A. players have you played...tens of thousands...to make such a sweeping statement?

And, why did you find it necessary to reopen this tired, dreadful thread in the first place? Don't tell. I don't want to know. We all do (see, I'm making a universal statement, lol) silly, useless things out of boredom

Beautiful, c_gg!  It's so rare to see someone starting a rant in a forum and then coming to their senses and calming down before they even finish -- and showing insight, too!  Cool.Cool

ATV-STEVE

Most people have limited time to play chess. Why waste it on lost positions hoping for the impossible? Start another game ,you're here to have fun.

dogladyofparker

It happened to me but I learned a lot from the experience and had fun winning in the endCool

Doggy_Style

....the refusal to surrender in a lost game is inversely proportional to skill level.

You know it.

TurboFish

-Gotland- wrote:

I think you should be prepared when starting a game of chess to play it to the end. If one of the players resign, fine it is his/hers choice and you should be glad to win. If they want to fight to the bitter end you really need to just play on to the checkmate is done. Often when people complain about this thing it is because they have trouble checkmating and are afraid of stalemates or losing on time. Stalemates and timecontrol is a part of the game and it is really a win for the losing part if one can make it a stalemate or a win on time instead of a checkmate. Don´t start a game if you not prepared to play it. This is my humble take on it. ;)

Well said Gotland, my feelings exactly! BTW, being a piece down, even a Queen, is not sufficient reason to resign. I have been a Q down in USCF-rated tournament games (G/2.5 hours) and still won. In such situations an opponent often gets overconfident and blundered. They thought the win was "just a matter of technique", something they apparently did not have enough of. So why feel pressured to resign a speed game? And if the opponent's time is so valuable, why are they playing a weakling like me? One more thing: I do not tolerate intolerance!

Annabella1

There is nothing wrong with ppl who dont resign....is their choice,  right?  It happens....but  here are two words  to remember ----> tolerance and respectful. 

nameno1had

In a fight, you'll have to beat me to death. That is why Americans are free, we don't quit and would rather take a chance that you'll fail, even it it costs us everything....

macer75

Funny how this thread has been around way longer than the petermh5 thread, but I haven't seen it until now.

macer75
chess_gg wrote:
invictusmortus wrote:

How can you say that you "don't wish to stereotype" and then make a universal statement?

And, just how many U.S.A. players have you played...tens of thousands...to make such a sweeping statement?

And, why did you find it necessary to reopen this tired, dreadful thread in the first place? Don't tell. I don't want to know. We all do (see, I'm making a universal statement, lol) silly, useless things out of boredom

No it's not because we believe that quitters are losers. It's because our ancestors had to fight a seemingly unwinnable war for our independence, and in the end somehow emerged victorious.