Forums

I found a very old looking chess set...

Sort:
tzastin
max1895 wrote:

I hope its worth a fortune mate.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.

CanonicalKnight

I found a couple of similar sets on shopgoodwill, Goodwill's online auction. All they say is "vintage" (which has a rather slippery meaning on their website) and Mexican.  One set lists it as being made of wood and resin with resin pieces.  It's an interesting set..enjoy! Smile

tzastin
CanonicalKnight wrote:

I found a couple of similar sets on shopgoodwill, Goodwill's online auction. All they say is "vintage" (which has a rather slippery meaning on their website) and Mexican.  One set lists it as being made of wood and resin with resin pieces.  It's an interesting set..enjoy! 

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the info. I'll go on the site and search for it and see what I can find.

Ruckus1

Everyone, I am visiting Playa Del Carmen right now, just south of cancoon. There is a tourist street here, 5th ave, there is like 5 or 6 stores here that sell that exact chess set. I am picking up an even nicer one tomorrow for 1500 peso's. I know the guy is probably taking a loss on the set but it' s not something that most tourists pick up here. He asked 2700 peso's earlier in the day. I seen that set here today and I belive most shops are asking around 1700 peso's but all are willing to negotiate as you can see from what I am getting this for. I will post some pics of it when I get it.

I really hope this helps everyone.

tzastin

It's a pretty large set and measures 19" and 3" high when opened. I don't see how it could be less than $100-$150

Pat_Zerr

I'll give you $5 for it.

MJLeary

Don't know if you are still following this, BUT, I have the same set.  It Is NOT a Cheapie Mexican Tourist Set, as stated above.  Some details left out are that this is VERY HEAVY, over 20 pounds.  It is old, having been in the family since the 1950's.  I am not disputing that it is mass produced, and in fact found this post while trying to research the history of the set.  If anyone ever gets some solid info, I'd love to hear it!  We originally thought the board might be ivory in part, but I'm unsure.  

Conflagration_Planet

OP hasn't been on for five months.

MJLeary

Maybe they will get an email. AND, not putting 60+ year old chess piece in the micro.  I have a friend who works at the DMNS museum that I intend to brain pick!  But thanks for the tip!

tmkroll

This is a 20th century Mexican tourist set as many have said. (There's no ivory in the board... though not all ivory sets are rare or expensive either.. my cheapest ivory set cost me $10.) It's made from crushed malachite and resin and it will melt if you stick a hot pin in it, so don't. You can get these for a $50-$200 on eBay pretty much all the time. The society of chess collectors is CCI, Chess Collectors International. There are also a couple eBay chess collecting groups, one of which is very big but has been quite dead lately.

bqms

I also have one of these sets...It is a very ...very ..beautiful set. I loaned my to my sister for a while..and she returned it with broken pieces.. I was sooo angry. I have had my for over 20 years......I will never let it go. I was looking for extra parts to replace my broken pieces. I still don't know where to get them from. Where did you buy yours. 

DelCheMethod

Are there any chess players that would actually buy a set like this? Seriously, playing with these pieces would be a pain. Plus, you can see from the close up pic that it is resin molded. You would be lucky to get $50 for this.