Forums

i win. my rating fell?

Sort:
phydeaux

my opponent resigned after 16 moves.  my rating went from 1600 to 1592.  his is 1372.  i dont know if his changed or not.  how is this?

APawnCanDream

Ever play golf? The lower your score, the better!

Honestly I'm not sure what happened but you'd need to give more details, perhaps a link to the game would help.

Scottrf

You're missing a game. Your rating went 1600-1589-1592.

Bless7103

Probably because his rating is so low.

phydeaux

no, scott was right.  i lost a game in the meantime and didnt realize it.  it must have happened at near the same time.  haha.  i didnt see the checkmate and it was right in front of me.  bummer.  need to keep practicing.  i win quite a few games in my rating but wonder how when i miss so many moves :) thank you scott. 

Conflagration_Planet
The_Chess_Agent wrote:

Probably because his rating is so low.

That's got to be a joke.

Bless7103

It's not a joke. I played a 1900 called Street92 or something in a tornament. I lost and only went down one rating point. I'm currently 1348.

Scottrf

Yeah but your rating can't go down by winning.

spirit9871

So it's pretty much 1 point up is the minimum amount of points you can get.

Conflagration_Planet
The_Chess_Agent wrote:

It's not a joke. I played a 1900 called Street92 or something in a tornament. I lost and only went down one rating point. I'm currently 1348.

Your rating might not go up at all, if you beat somebody rated low enough, but it will never go down for winning.

spirit9871
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
The_Chess_Agent wrote:

Your rating might not go up at all, if you beat somebody rated low enough, but it will never go down for winning.

Well no duh. Why the Hell would you get punished for winning a game?

learningthemoves
spirit9871 wrote:
The_Chess_Agent wrote:

Net capital gains tax.

Conflagration_Planet
spirit9871 wrote:
The_Chess_Agent wrote:

Ask poster #4, dope. Same guy I quoted.

Sred
spirit9871 wrote:

If that was true, the rating system could not work properly. The minimum amount of points you get for a win is 0. Of course, the rating difference has to be very high to get not even 1 point. It happened to me once when the difference was something like 870.

Scottrf
Sred wrote:
spirit9871 wrote:

If that was true, the rating system could not work properly. The minimum amount of points you get for a win is 0. Of course, the rating difference has to be very high to get not even 1 point. It happened to me once when the difference was something like 870.

In chess.com that's true I think. In FIDE I think the least is either 1, or maybe 0.7 (rings a bell for some reason).

Sred
Scottrf wrote:
Sred wrote:
spirit9871 wrote:

In chess.com that's true I think. In FIDE I think the least is either 1, or maybe 0.7 (rings a bell for some reason).

Interesting. I guess FIDE can do this because there is no chance that someone starts to collect points by playing hundreds of low rated players, as it could happen with online chess.