if you are about to lose badly, do you resign or continue?

najdorf96

SunTzu_56 wrote:

im not going to say who these stats belong to, but they seem odd: joined just a week ago.

65 wins, zero losses in Daily, yet rating relatively low.

5 wins, 0 losses in Rapid nice rating

An astounding 380 current, yes CURRRENT games, most on the 14 day ride.

Weird or typical?

 

Indeed 🤔. Well, when I joined waay back in ... ah...yeah I started with a kind of an provisional rating though. Which became high, then smoothed out later; till it's at my current. Dunno the formula but I think it's "normal" these days as I faced a new account with a whopping stat of 1800 (but had 1200s the rest with only 2 games being played, maybe 2 other games ongoing) I'm embarrassed to say I lost to her (gotta admit she had a nice profile pic~like a kpop star or something like that) but two weeks later when I just happened to run into her again, her rating was at 1300! Heh of course I declined her challenge; anyways, that's my take. Could be _______ her...er...that person's stats is temporary for now but I would take for "normal" for now. Could be too, she...I mean that person could just be playing non-rated games or players lower rated than them. As it is, I wouldn't be soo Pink Pather about it! Cool😎

najdorf96

SunTzu_56 wrote:

im not going to say who these stats belong to, but they seem odd: joined just a week ago.

65 wins, zero losses in Daily, yet rating relatively low.

5 wins, 0 losses in Rapid nice rating

An astounding 380 current, yes CURRRENT games, most on the 14 day ride.

Weird or typical?

 

[edit] *Pink Panther

darwinwasright
Shermanchess wrote:

you keep playing so you can learn middlegame and the endgames to win

 

once the game is lost it isnt an opportunity for learning it is just an exercise in ones stupidity

melvinbluestone
Major-Tomcats wrote:
melvinbluestone wrote:

  The 'never resign' philosophy certainly has it's good points. This is from a game at the Reykjavik open in 1986 between a FIDE master, Jonasson, and an IM, Anganttsson.


In the position shown, white resigned after Bd4+, as it looks like mate is inevitable. However, if white had looked a little longer, maybe he would have seen the simple knight block on e3 wins......

I think this is a completely different message for patzers.

”if you are about to win well, don’t resign”.

    Well, yeah, but, the point is: what was going on in Jonasson's head? Obviously. he didn't know he was about to win. He thought he was dead lost. But I can't argue with that idea, either: 'If you are about to win, don't resign'........ except maybe if you're playing some little kid and you don't want to see your opponent throw a tantrum!

melvinbluestone
SorryImAnon wrote:
Major-Tomcat wrote:
melvinbluestone wrote:

  The 'never resign' philosophy certainly has it's good points. This is from a game at the Reykjavik open in 1986 between a FIDE master, Jonasson, and an IM, Anganttsson.


In the position shown, white resigned after Bd4+, as it looks like mate is inevitable. However, if white had looked a little longer, maybe he would have seen the simple knight block on e3 wins......

I think this is a completely different message for patzers.

”if you are about to win well, don’t resign”.

Those players have the "Unattainable for a normal person" super prestigious chess titles?  

 

Maybe it's not as worthy or difficult an undertaking as I hoped it would be

    I agree. I think it was Oliver Wendell Holmes, or maybe Socrates, who said "If you try hard enough, you can screw up anything."

     And don't let those prestigious chess titles intimidate you. Some pretty mediocre players and shady characters have become IMs and GMs. See:

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/fun-with-chess/worlds-lowest-rated-grandmaster

binomine

If I am hopelessly low on material, and my opponent doesn't have a direct attack, I resign. No reason to play out 30 ~ 40 moves when I am losing.

Otherwise, I like to play to the end, just because low piece endgames are good for practicing calculation.  It's always fun to watch an opponent have difficulties mating with two queens and a rook.

ThrillerFan

Depends on situation and format:

Blitz - Forget it!  You have to mate me!

Over the Board Standard - If there is any counter play, I will play on.  Otherwise, resign.

Correspondence - Resign if you are hopelessly lost.  There is no swindle in correspondence.  Keep in mind many sites, like ICCF, allow computers.  Computer says -1 does not mean lost.  Computers think the Kings Indian is -1.  -7 and down a rook in correspondence, that is lost.  Give it up.

kittycat5706

if both of you see checkmate, resign, but if he does not look satisfied, don't. 

SunTzu_56

yes Chomsky i saw your name there. i will do same. good luck

SunTzu_56

Hopefully one of the early lessons we learn in life is how to win with humility and lose with grace.

congrandolor
Look at this game. A 5 minutes blitz
 
 

 

btickler
darwinwasright wrote:
Shermanchess wrote:

you keep playing so you can learn middlegame and the endgames to win

once the game is lost it isnt an opportunity for learning it is just an exercise in ones stupidity

At a certain point, yes.  Though I would not say it that bluntly happy.png.

kusokosla

Play to the end and hope opponent loses connection or his mom walks in or something and tells him to go to sleep. Run around with your king and try to keep at least one pawn. Look for stalemate possibilities. Distract your opponent with random draw offer or text him something pre-made to make him look and thus lose 1 second on his clock. Create the toughest fortress you can make and pre-move 4 or 5 king moves back and forth. Throw in another draw offer. Move your last pawn to avoid him eating it as his clock runs out.

 

Then you will receive a mean comment on your page from him. Erase it.

 

Then play again and repeat from step 1.  

 

 

SunTzu_56

65-0 is dubious, im playing my standard hypermoderns. Get her Chomsky. make her resign lol.

kusokosla
Chomky_Cheese wrote:
kusokosla wrote:

Play to the end and hope opponent loses connection or his mom walks in or something and tells him to go to sleep. Run around with your king and try to keep at least one pawn. Look for stalemate possibilities. Distract your opponent with random draw offer or text him something pre-made to make him look and thus lose 1 second on his clock. Create the toughest fortress you can make and pre-move 4 or 5 king moves back and forth. Throw in another draw offer. Move your last pawn to avoid him eating it as his clock runs out.

 

Then you will receive a mean comment on your page from him. Erase it.

 

Then play again and repeat from step 1.  

 

 

Thats just upsetting how you have turned b-s-ing a losing position into a science.

 

 

LOL

 

Don’t hate the playa, hate the game.

 

There is more. Say you’re losing badly and both have seconds left on the clock. And you have a breakthrough with pawns he can easily stop, well, he will probably pre-move taking the pawn that is trying to create the breakthrough, so don’t move it! Pre-move 3 king moves and then throw in the breakthrough! 

 

Or say you got only a knight left and hopefully a pawn somewhere, and he has a rook and is about to queen his last pawn and both of you have 1 or 2 seconds left. Pre-move a knight route that ends in a check! This can run his clock out. 

Another one I like is when you or your opponent hangs the queen, but keeps playing! Alertly and quickly. And then the guy who is up a queen hangs his queen or walks into mate because he assumed the game is in the bag... Even worse is when he can’t mate you in time thou he is up a queen. Lol

btickler
SunTzu_56 wrote:

65-0 is dubious, im playing my standard hypermoderns. Get her Chomsky. make her resign lol.

Dubious, yep.  The Sorry Anon has been banned.  Monday morning shocker wink.png.

"Besides, it's not worth doing any major legwork when your account will be gone by next week."

OUAT2TLG

yeah, she was fun, but temporary. lol