Forums

If you comment on tactic trainers puzzles then...

Sort:
DJAbacus

you must get fed up with all the lemons that post that they have just scored 100% in a puzzle...Sealed

If you are properly looking at a puzzle, looking at various alternatives, then a score of around 80% is what you should expect..Innocent

100% and you are just guessing...Tongue Out

Saying that...if you have posted that you got 100% then let's here why??? Wink

-BEES-

I've found that people invariably post "easy" on all the problems that I fail, and only the ones that I fail.

whirlwind2011

http://www.chess.com/tactics/?id=24861

I got a score of 100% on this problem (although I did not post my score in the comments of the problem) because I have seen this position numerous times before, including just a few days ago. The solution came to me instantly, so I was able to solve it in seven seconds--well below the average time of 34 seconds.

On the other hand, I needed almost eight minutes to solve another problem that had an average solving time of one minute, 33 seconds.

Sometimes, everything falls into place.

Scottrf

Yeah that's a very well known 'bad resign' position.

DJAbacus

Ok.. whirlwind....a moment of clarity...yes...but I'm guessing you didn't get 100%....'I scored 100%  whooooohoooo'....these are the muppets that 'get my goat'...

I guess I shouldn't...

I should just enjoy their joy but.....I don't...

I just think...'shut up you muppet' Smile

DJAbacus
-BEES- wrote:

I've found that people invariably post "easy" on all the problems that I fail, and only the ones that I fail.

Laughing

Yes....maybe thats it...

baddogno
DJAbacus wrote:

you must get fed up with all the lemons that post that they have just scored 100% in a puzzle...

If you are properly looking at a puzzle, looking at various alternatives, then a score of around 80% is what you should expect..

100% and you are just guessing...

Saying that...if you have posted that you got 100% then let's here why??? 

"100% and you are just guessing.."   Look, I don't post on TT and of course I'm annoyed with the many idiot postings like "easy" that I come across, but that statement is just wrong.  Are there people who guess their way to a 100% score?  Sure, but the whole rationale behind timed puzzles is that the TT is about "pattern recognition" and the 100%'s I've had (few and far between) have been because I recognized the pattern.  There are other TT's on the web that are primarily about calculation, but this one is not.  For a far more informed opinion on the necessity of "pattern training" check out Coach Heisman's website (danheisman.com).  Coach believes very strongly that you should know and recognize several thousand patterns as easily as you do multiplication tables.  I'm like you, most of the time I have to calculate through the problem, but not always.  Sometimes I see a problem whose answer is as clear, immediate, and obvious as 6x7=42.

Scottrf

Yeah that comment was just wrong. I went 50-0 on TT last week, maybe a third or so were 100%. It was hardly guessing.

Sure, people do play moves without seeing the combination through, but it's also possible to be absolutely sure and still get 100%.

DJAbacus

Apart from mate-in-ones which 'you just see' then every other type of puzzle needs more than a few seconds (100% score) to be sure you have the right answer...

Scottrf

Not if you recognise the pattern. Bodens mate, Anastasias mate, a lot of these are 2 second puzzles if you know them well enough.

Also, I've seen puzzles where you can still get 100% after 30 seconds.

DJAbacus

Ok..big guy...love your avatar btw...Laughing

DJAbacus

Don't puzzles become harder, the better you get so you don't just see the same patterns over again? You are at about 1700 so that means those nice little bodens and anastasias mates are a thing of the past...right?

whirlwind2011

I remember one problem I solved several weeks ago, similar to what Scottrf described. I took about 22 seconds, and because the average solving time was so high (maybe about five or seven minutes--I don't remember exactly) I still got 100%. I had thought that I had taken a long time, too, and wouldn't ordinarily have deserved 100%.

Scottrf

My rating is new, I don't really know what puzzles are shown at this level (was ~2200 for the most part). I don't normally see many though, no, but a lot of easy tactics form composite parts of difficult tactics. And you will still recognise some instantly, this one for example there are so many variation of on there it's just recognition not calculation:

DJAbacus

Too Easy...100%.....woooohooooo

NimzoRoy

Yeah I got it right away and recall seeing it before I didn't recall the exact moves just the general idea which makes finding the moves pretty easy when there are so few possible moves in the position

Lawdoginator

Zugzwang! 

Lawdoginator

Oh, and easy peasy!