if you need 10000 chess hours to become a GM, how do kids become GMs at 12?

RonaldJosephCote

Speler......please don't use U-Tube with 20K views as the standard to becoming something in life. The people who really ARE something......aren't on U-tube.meh.png

SpelerThomas
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

Speler......please don't use U-Tube with 20K views as the standard to becoming something in life. The people who really ARE something......aren't on U-tube.

What are you even talking about? 20k views on youtube is nothing...

RonaldJosephCote

I can see your young and probably already a lost cause.meh.png    Forget I said anything.....I'm out. happy.png

SpelerThomas

Pretty young... 32 years old.

RonaldJosephCote

You were 12 yrs old when U-tube started in 2005.

SpelerThomas

In 2005 I was 18. And what does it even matter? You like watching regular tv? I know that in USA there's commercials in like each 14 minutes. I have adblock and can decide myself whatever I want to watch. 

RonaldJosephCote

Instagram is where you want to be.

SpelerThomas

Instagram? Oof, you're probably young and already a lost cause! 

RonaldJosephCote

There's plenty of other better platforms than U-Tube........ try Patreon if you have anything of substance.

WeylTransform

In 2005, I did not exist once upon a Minkowski spacetime. 

WeylTransform
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

Speler......please don't use U-Tube with 20K views as the standard to becoming something in life. The people who really ARE something......aren't on U-tube.

Appreciate the first sentence of that comment, but there are actually people who have genuinely achieved phenomenal greatness in their lives featured on Youtube. Terence Tao, for instance, was discussing a proof of the Prime Number theorem via the von mangoldt function as well as vaporising the Riemann zeta function. NJ Wildberger has a fine Youtube channel, albeit he would not be as remarkable as the wonder of Terence Tao. There are a variety of lectures relating to Richard Feynman, and so as it may be, I recall discerning an interview with Paul Dirac. But I believe what you intended to state is that they simply do not bother with investing their time into YouTube, for they have far better things to do, far more contributions that us aspiring theoretical physicists and mathematicians and mathematical physicists and cosmologists and astronomers and theoretical astrophysicists and astrophysicists and professions alike could make use of. PALATIAL TWISTOR THEORY IS GREAT. OH NO, THE Hausdorff dimension IS EXCEEDING THE TOPOLOGICAL DIMENSION. ANYWAY, THIS MAY SOUND GENERIC BUT BIREFRINGENCE IS HONESTLY THE MOST INCREDIBLE OPTICAL PHENOMENON (genuinely).

RonaldJosephCote

https://twitgoo.com/best-youtube-alternatives/

jk_2017

Okay.

WeylTransform
jk_2017 wrote:

Okay.

Merely wanting to express that Maldacena's paper of the ADS-Cft correspondence was revolutionary. Spacetime is given by the boundary of Anti De Sitter space and N=4 supersymmetric Yang Mills theory additionally for the win. HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR ASTROPHYSICS NOR LOOP QUANTUM GRAVITY, THEN...

SpelerThomas
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

These suggestions are horrible and don't compare in the slightest with YT.

YT has a very broad amount of different videos about basicly anything thats allowed within the rules (and then some) but it also has a lot of chess videos. I think that some GMs have a hard time to get any income without YT or Twitch. 

I know that content creators on YT sometimes hate the system for demonitizations and stuff, but as a viewer and not an uploader, YT is just great and I don't really see what the problem is. It must be because I'm young and a lost cause!

Caesar49bc

First off, I have never heard of needing 10,000 hours of training to become a GM. Children are like learning sponges, and the younger they are, the higher the ratio of that learning translates into long term memory.

First you have to identify a child that has a natural skill at something. Perhaps the piano or violin, or maybe art or chess or whatever.

Then the parent or guardian has to indulge the child in his or her's natural talent. Getting the kid lessons, preferably by someone that's well known to teach a child prodigy in the given field. Not all teachers are the best, so getting the right teacher or coach makes a huge difference.

It's a huge investment in terms of time and support. Child prodigies need plenty of love and support by thier parent or guardian.

Money is probably not a factor, since it's not too difficult to find a benefactor to bankroll a child prodigy. In the world of the wealthy, being known as a benefactor of a child prodigy greases the wheels in the right circles. At least not difficult in the USA.

IMBacon

The problem with youtube is that anyone, and i mean anyone can post a video.

rabbitAAAA

1.Maybe they are robots. 2.Maybe there is a secret conspiracy you need to join so other people purposely make mistakes and let you become a gm, to do that at 12

jNewGames

Chess is a matter of delicate judgement, knowing when to punch and how to duck. - Bobby Fischer

Now what did the great Fischer mean by this? I think I know. Because when you play chess theres two things to consider.

1.positional play (pins, files, open ranks, diagonals, the centre, development, etc)

but theres also other things, like instinct. What is instict? the ability to discern a position in terms of the positional hierachy!

For example, ina  certain chess game, you come across many many positional factors in one position. You could either develop a peice OR control the centre or control a diagonal, or pin a peice etc etc. 

how to know which one works best? Well, the answer is instinct. Maybe thats how kids get to master levels very early.   Maybe the answer is in fischers quote, they realise how to analyse a position perfectly and evaluate it in terms of its positional hierachy.