Forums

I'm so obsessed with chess I even...

Sort:
Capt_Caveman

...look at my games on my phone while brushing my teeth at night

I bet someone is worse than me though

My name is Captain Caveman and I'm a Chessaholic

InTheBalance

... once made a paper chess set that folded up and fitted into my wallet so that I always had the ability to play a game should the need arise. This was many years ago, prior to the smartphone. No real need for it anymore :)

Mack25

A paper chess set that folds up and fits into a wallet....... thats bloody fantastic :D 

plutonia
InTheBalance wrote:

... once made a paper chess set that folded up and fitted into my wallet so that I always had the ability to play a game should the need arise. This was many years ago, prior to the smartphone. No real need for it anymore :)

Not too bad. Real chess obsession is to learn how to play blindfold, so you can have a game of chess in your mind literally all the time. Even while you're swimming in the pool.

InTheBalance
plutonia wrote:
InTheBalance wrote:

Not too bad. Real chess obsession is to learn how to play blindfold, so you can have a game of chess in your mind literally all the time. Even while you're swimming in the pool.

Agreed, but that presumes that your opponent can play blindfold chess too.

varelse1

....misssed a date, because I passed a guy sitting at a chessboard en route.

(True story)

Scottrf
InTheBalance wrote:

You're not obsessed enough if you need an opponent.

plutonia
InTheBalance wrote:
plutonia wrote:
InTheBalance wrote:

Never played a game with yourself?

Uh, my diagnosis is that...you're perfectly healthy.

basilicone

I once sat behind two guys in a bus who were playing a game of chess. Maybe not that unusual, but they didn´t have a board or pieces; they were simply thinking and then announcing their moves. A few passengers sitting near them were listening and exchanging meaningful glances, they obviously thought the guys were either crazy or having them on, but they weren´t; they were completely absorbed, and quite oblivious to the interest they were arousing. The game progressed, and one of the players then said something like "Queen takes on f6". His opponent said instantly and loudly: "damn, I didn´t see that!", and the audience cracked up.

Capt_Caveman

@basilicone - though they may have been playing a chess version of Mornington Crescent ;)

@varelse1 - love that one about missing a date.

Perhaps you know your becoming a geek when chess is more important than women!

varelse1

I didn't need that incident to tell me that!

Tongue Out

And rofl at basilicone

Lawdoginator

Great stories. Love the folded paper Origami chess set. 

shovingwood
Capt_Caveman wrote:

...look at my games on my phone while brushing my teeth at night

I bet someone is worse than me though

My name is Captain Caveman and I'm a Chessaholic

I know the feeling mate! I think about the game so much that every time I have dinner I'm moving the salt and pepper! Smile

RomyGer

Thanks, Basilicone, a great story !

Melbourne_Chess_Club

I'm so obsessed I do puzzles whilst stopped at red lights;)