Forums

Imposters

Sort:
ponz111

When I was on part of Ponziani Power one day in a vote chess there were three members who all voted for the same move and it was to give up our queen for nothing--a losing move.

However since Ponziani Power had and has a very strong team they were outvoted.  But it caused problems because we had to find the imposters and boot them from the team.

Also, someone was suspected of being the imposter.  The person [suspect] turned to me and I helped to clear him.

It was found that the imposter was some person who lives near London who did this deed "for fun"

Recently a person asked to be my friend who I suspected right away was an imposter.  She did something to help promote my opening the Ponziani. 

But sadly this young girl age about 12 was also an imposter.  The picture of her used was of a girl who died in a boating accident in 2010.

Do we need this?  Can something be done? Should something be done?  What about people who have multiple accounts?  Discussion open...

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

I actually have another account that I used just to find out what and what couldn't be done by someone without a premium membership.  I used it to help others with Chess.com.  I haven't had to do anything along those lines in a while so maybe I should close it.  I don't use it to play serious chess or for subterfuge. 

macer75
ponz111 wrote:

But sadly this young girl age about 12 was also an imposter.  The picture of her used was of a girl who died in a boating accident in 2010.

This seems pretty obvious, but...

Very few people on this site use their actual pictures as their profiles.

ponz111

and very few are imposters.

Naakija

If Chess.com changed their "register in" onto based on bank access codes, when opening a new account, there would be less cheaters & imposters.

Expertise87

That seems a bit extreme, or I'm not sure what you mean by based on bank access codes

Naakija

We do have here in Finland the identification System based on Bank Access Codes. When paying bills via internet, when filling applications for authorities and so on. No cards needed or extra computer tools.

ponz111

Imposters up to no good can cause problems. Two have tried to fool me.

When I caught one of them and reported this to a vote chess group I used to be in the Super accused me of being into "conspiracies" and yanked his friendship and cut me off.

I am not sure if chess.com has any policy regarding imposters up to no good?

macer75

No. People are feww to use whatever profile image they like, as long as it is deemed "appropriate" by chess.com.

macer75

Which is the way it should be.

ponz111

It is fine to use whatever chess image. It is not so fine to pretend you are that image and then make mischief.

Naakija

Nope. I do disagree with that "whatever".      Tongue Out

macer75

I agree.

macer75
ponz111 wrote:

It is fine to use whatever chess image. It is not so fine to pretend you are that image and then make mischief.

What's the matter with that? If somebody falls for it, it's their problem.

ponz111

Imposters can be problems. In Ponziani Power where they take their vote chess games very seriously there were 3 imposters who one day delibertly voted for  a losing move --giving a queen away for nothing- this caused many problems.  Eventually the super quit and czme back after a couple of months. [and then many more problems]

Another player was wrongly accused of being the imposter and this player asked for my help to clear him. Many just assumed this player did the bad deed.  I actually did clear this player and also it was determined who did this dirty deed.

My actions to clear someone [this person was not particularily liked] did not sit well with super and now I am out of Ponziani Power and the super cut me off and accuses me of being into "conspiracy theories"

Also, an imposter posing as part of wikpedia asked me for a picture and some of my gzmes for wikpedia.  These is already a small article in wikpedia on me.  This person was an imposter.

KingSullian

Well my profile picture is real!!!

And I only become an imposter when I rob tha' chess.com payroll stage!!Tongue Out

MoonlessNight

Hmm, there seem to be a large number of people pretending to be pawns...

KingSullian

Stand by me,,, ba' ba'...

Give me your gold!

Afta' ya' king and queen!Tongue Out

Naakija
nixfoucault wrote:
LauriAikio wrote:

If Chess.com changed their "register in" onto based on bank access codes, when opening a new account, there would be less cheaters & imposters.

Of Course there would be "less cheaters and impostors," because nobody would be joining the site anymore.

Your idea is idiotic.

Says who ??

Naakija

Only bank & You know Your User ID & 300 Changing Codes. The Identification Company is the middle "man" and only sends a confirmation to a Service Producer. Simple.     Tongue Out