Forums

International Master Blunders - Makes Me Feel Better!

Sort:
Musikamole

I like to watch IM and GM games over at ICC, for fun, and to see how well I can predict moves, as well as work on my visualization and calculation.

This IM blundered big time on 17.Qxh5+??, losing to a check/discovered attack on his queen, thus blundering his queen. Maybe I won't feel as bad when I miss simple tactics like that one. Smile

To give the International Master the benefit of the doubt, maybe his toddlar spilled hot coffee on his lap, causing a mouse slip. Laughing

gaereagdag

Didn't Paul Morphy lose a game in 12 moves?

Musikamole
linuxblue1 wrote:

Didn't Paul Morphy lose a game in 12 moves?

I'd like to see that miniature, and also ask if it was from a blindfold simul. Morphy has played 20 game simuls blindfolded. 

There's a statistic out there regarding the number of times a GM blunders per so many games. I don't know the number off hand, but it's low.

This blunder struck me as surprising because it was only a one move, very basic tactic. Something that players at that level are not supposed to miss, maybe 99.9% of the time, pretty sure. 

livluvrok

That makes me feel better too :)

ictavera

What was the time control?

livluvrok

The time control was probably pretty short, considering that they we're masters. I don't think an IM would blunder on a long game, but who knows

eddysallin

I smell a prank....that is not a G.m. vs. I.M. game. At least not a human one. Maybe a program..

ictavera
eddysallin wrote:

I smell a prank....that is not a G.m. vs. I.M. game. At least not a human one. Maybe a program..

Maybe bullet.

Scottrf

Did you not see the Tata Steel game from the other day?

2700 GM Naiditsch

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1705188

eddysallin
Scottrf wrote:

Did you not see the Tata Steel game from the other day?

2700 GM Naiditsch

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1705188

Thks. Did u go over ICC game...ending in bd2 dis.+.What do u think ?

When i saw ph4---i thought of the guy w/ the new opening....

waffllemaster

Yes, when it happens in a tournament game it's even more heartening :)

Fear_ItseIf

with those ratings of 3000+ it was likely 3 minute blitz, so he probably was down on time.

livluvrok
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

with those ratings of 3000+ it was likely 3 minute blitz, so he probably was down on time.

or, even bullet

jesterville

I can remember even Anand blundering/forgetting his preparation...along with other top GMs. I think it proves that they are only human. Carlsen is winning some of his games at Tata Steel 2013 by pressing them over 50 moves, and seeing the stress get the better of them...even from equal positions. They very well know that when they face him, no early draws like Anand and Kramnik...but 50, 60, 70 move games to test their end game skills.

Musikamole
temp_ddg wrote:

What was the time control?

Long enough for me to see the blunder in real time when I followed the game. I think it was 3 0. It was NOT bullet.

Musikamole
livluvrok wrote:
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

or, even bullet

Not down on time in 3 0, having played only 17 moves!