Is 1100 elo chess.com blitz good enough to even mention chess as an interest in my dating profile?

rookie1708

Let's say I want to find a girlfriend with similar interests and I ocassionally play chess for fun but I feel extermely self concsious about my rating or chess strenght. How strong should I be not to embarrass myself on a dating site? Lets say a girl meets me and says she likes chess and finds out I am so week ass and I completely embarrass myself. I feel it is like saying I like swimming then we go on a date and I nearly drown and she needs to save me. I mean, I don't wanna say I am good on the site but what elo is good enough to mention that I play or even like playing chess?

BigBooobees

this whole question is irrelevant. the issue here is your self-consciousness. you need to work on accepting and loving you for you. a genuine romantic love will do the same.

YureaLily

as long as your (candidate) girlfriend doesn't join chess club and get tutored by a coach and got a fide rating like 1500+ it's ok to say chess are your interest and you won't be embarrased

Johnny_Gumshoe
If you think like that you’ll spend your life looking out of the window at other people living their lives and having fun.

Honesty is king. If you have an interest in chess put it on your profile. It doesn’t matter that you can’t kick butt in the world championships. It doesn’t matter even if you play crapola like me. Be honest, be yourself. Nobody likes a fake person.

I’ll give you an example. I have an interest in music, especially the bass guitar. I’m really crap at playing the bass guitar but my wife doesn’t think anything more or less of me for it. I keep playing and she keeps suffering.

Another. I like cars. But I’m completely inept when it comes to repairing them. My wife doesn’t care about that.

Stop worrying over things that don’t matter.

BE HONEST.
JayeshSinhaChess

Look elo is related to how long you have been playing the game. When I started I was 800 now I am 1400 and I play for a hobby. As you play more you will improve.

Most of the players who have high elos on this site have devoted decades to getting that good, GMs, IMs, etc.

So 1100 is nothing great admittedly (neither is 1400/1500 btw), but its all down to how much time that you are able to devote to chess.

cyboo
Umm...too young to answer.
madratter7

Dating Chessplayer.... Isn't that like an Oxymoron. wink.png

Just kidding. I'm sure this is probably a troll question, but in the very slim chance it isn't, be yourself. You don't want to get in a relationship with someone who doesn't accept you as you are, and you don't want to get in a relationship built from the start on falsehoods.

chessplayersuper

Dating Chessplayer.... Isn't that like an Oxymoron.

Good one!

PowerofHope
2000, OP.
superchessmachine
Johnny_Gumshoe wrote:
If you think like that you’ll spend your life looking out of the window at other people living their lives and having fun.

Honesty is king. If you have an interest in chess put it on your profile. It doesn’t matter that you can’t kick butt in the world championships. It doesn’t matter even if you play crapola like me. Be honest, be yourself. Nobody likes a fake person.

I’ll give you an example. I have an interest in music, especially the bass guitar. I’m really crap at playing the bass guitar but my wife doesn’t think anything more or less of me for it. I keep playing and she keeps suffering.

Another. I like cars. But I’m completely inept when it comes to repairing them. My wife doesn’t care about that.

Stop worrying over things that don’t matter.

BE HONEST.

well said

notmtwain
rookie1708 wrote:

Let's say I want to find a girlfriend with similar interests and I ocassionally play chess for fun but I feel extermely self concsious about my rating or chess strenght. How strong should I be not to embarrass myself on a dating site? Lets say a girl meets me and says she likes chess and finds out I am so week ass and I completely embarrass myself. I feel it is like saying I like swimming then we go on a date and I nearly drown and she needs to save me. I mean, I don't wanna say I am good on the site but what elo is good enough to mention that I play or even like playing chess?

People who don't play competitive chess don't have the vaguest idea about ratings. Don't worry about that at all.

However, I would invest in a spell checker. Four spelling mistakes in your little paragraph.

Tsk. Tsk.

forked_again

You list your interests.  Your interests include chess.  You list chess.

Still confused?

DeirdreSkye

Careful , you might date Irina Krush.

imsighked2

Why should rating have anything to do with expressing your interest in chess? Just say you love the game and you're learning.

forked_again

I don't know about Irena, but if Tatev would tolerate a 1200 rated boyfriend I'd have no problem with "rating envy".  

zembrianator

I wouldn't mention rating at all. Once you are making more than six-figures from playing/teaching it, only then mention chess and your net worth on dating profile.

lfPatriotGames

It's ok to list chess as an interest, but do NOT list your rating no matter what it is.  Nobody is going to care what your rating is. Nobody. 99% of women do not even know what it is or what it means, the other 1% will not care what it is and if for some reason they do care, would probably hold it against you. If you list a chess rating on your dating profile, that tells me you have some personal issues you need to work on before you should worry about dating.

IMBacon
rookie1708 wrote:

Here is going to be some earth shattering news for ya...

Be yourself...

I remember a friend joining a dating site.  She describes, and describes her "soul mate"

Must be between 6-0 and 6-4

Must weigh between 170-180

Must make at least $75,000/Year

I dont think she understood what a soul mate is.

imsighked2

"Rating envy. . . . " LOL! How Freudian.