Forums

IS 25 too old to become a titled player?

Sort:
ajmeroski

Blackburne started at the age of 18 from what I've heard.

nickfransadrien

Chigorin started to take chess seriously at the age of 24 and was one of the top players in the world at the end of the 19th century. So unless you want to say that one of the top world players at the end of the 19th century is weaker than a today national master, the answer is an unequivocal yes.

blueemu
Markle wrote:

I hope not, because i have heard all the it can't be done comments before but i am 51 and even though i know it is a huge uphill climb i intend to break the 2200 barrier before i die

I'm 56 and I confidently expect to break 2200 (online) within a year.

Markle
blueemu wrote:
Markle wrote:

I hope not, because i have heard all the it can't be done comments before but i am 51 and even though i know it is a huge uphill climb i intend to break the 2200 barrier before i die

Good luck i hope you do strike a blow for us old guys, but i am trying to break 2200 OTB not on-line

AKJett

can i become titled i am 14 and my rating is 1490 FIDE i am asking this because it is difficult to go uphill with an established rating

DrCheckevertim

A better question might be: Are you going to spend 10 years of vigorous study for a title? Or because you like chess?

hansen999

Chigorin learned the moves at age 16 but didnt become serious before he was 24.

blueemu
Markle wrote:
blueemu wrote:
Markle wrote:

Good luck i hope you do strike a blow for us old guys, but i am trying to break 2200 OTB not on-line

I live in the back-woods of New Brunswick... so unless I can teach the bears to play chess (and get them rated by the Canadian Chess Federation) I'm a not really in a position to pick up the points OTB.

bcoburn2

hey ! Don't spoil it for me. 76 & still hopping.

VLaurenT
darnezee wrote:

I started playing chess seriously about 6 months ago. I am playing every day and studying every day as well. Currently I am rated 1394. Is there any hope for me to one day reach some sort of title?

NM yes, FM maybe, higher would be really fantastic ! (and probably a first starting at your age) Cool

Ziryab

Tongue Out

eddysallin
Shadowknight911 wrote:

Everyone I see getting USCF NM (2200) titles are under 15 years old nowadays.

speaking as a kid, I went from 0 to 2000 in a little over 4 years.  However, I'm finding the road between Expert to NM (2000 to 2200) very treacherous and slippery for now, but I've still got a bit of time before reaching 15.  Heck, just in order for me to minimally qualify for the World Youth tournament either this year or next year, I have to be a titled player at minimum (over 2200).  

Well done.... good luck.

Ziryab
Shadowknight911 wrote:
blueemu wrote:
Markle wrote:

I speak from experience when I say that 2200 online here is A class (1800-2000) USCF OTB.

I speak from experience when I say that 2000 here is 1970 USCF.

WanderingPuppet

I speak from experience when I say that 1987 here is 2130 USCF. Innocent  I'm trying to get red letters at 24, I don't see why not 25.

D_for_DJ

I have seen people  become GM's at age 60!  like Larry Kaufman. It's never to old to become a title player my friend. Cool

Ubik42

I speak from experience when I say 1840 online here is 1694 USCF.

More seriously, I dont think they are commensurable. Your online score depends very much on how much time you spend per move. Do you break out a board, and move the pieces around, and take 30-60 minutes on a move? Or do you look at the screen for a minute and pick something that looks ok? Do you keep to under 5 games, or do you play 35 at a time?

I started online as training for OTB games, to solve a particular problem: a tendency to move in OTB without adequately considering opponent responses. I figured online was a good way to punish me over and over until I became more careful. And I stay away from blitz because that only encourages what I am trying to avoid.

fianchetto123

Online ratings are inflated. That's just how it works. I could be 2000+ easily if I was that interested in it, but in reality I'm 1900 OTB.

1RedKnight99

I would say you could become an NM if you studied hard.

Rasparovov
Shadowknight911 wrote:
blueemu wrote:
Markle wrote:

I speak from experience when I say that 2200 online here is A class (1800-2000) USCF OTB.

I'm only about to break 2000 online here and I performed at 1944 in a recent tournament. (I have no established rating yet)

SSNegi

I started playing online chess around 3 months ago and my standard rating is around 1500. Im 17 any chances?