Forums

IS 25 too old to become a titled player?

Sort:
violinandchess

chess is a logical game so once you understand its logic well u can improve your ratings and a title too .but i also asked this same question in different form

is _ too late to become a good violinist ?

and i got a reply that it wont happen it need to be devolop in childhood like 3-5 years old 

Rasparovov
SSNegi wrote:

I started playing online chess around 3 months ago and my standard rating is around 1500. Im 17 any chances?

It's hard to tell soo early.

Ziryab
Shadowknight911 wrote:

let me clarify, the players that I'm playing that are at 2200 level online feel like 1800-2000 level players OTB.  I'm playing a couple of players now that probably are masters or at master strength, but over the past few months, most of the players zI've played I feel like they're about 200 points lower that what is listed. 

This is a common experience, but there are 1500s here who play as well as masters (perhaps assisted), and I know at least one strong correspondence player (2300+) who has an old USCF of ~1500 and recently returned to OTB play.

Efforts to correlate the two rating pools are fraught with difficulty. 

DrFrank124c
D_for_DJ wrote:

I have seen people  become GM's at age 60!  like Larry Kaufman. It's never to old to become a title player my friend.

Amen brother! As long as your brain functions normally you should be able to learn new things. An old dog can learn new tricks!

ZeldasCrown

Really, it's about how much time you put into it. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see more people who become highly ranked players later in life-as you grow older, some of your time committments disapear (no more school, as you reach retirement age there might be less work, children are grown and don't need the care they used to, etc) and there's more time for things like chess. 

Makholm

Well ... Jens Kristiansen who won World Senior Chess Championship in November is 60years old and will get a GM title next congress

ponz111

Also a miracle could happen and my health could get better and I could up my USCF rating from 2188 to 2200 and I am age 71.  Maybe I could get a expert or master to play me at my home. Or maybe I could find a tournament director from long ago.  Possible.

kiwi-inactive

I don't see why not, practising every day and learning off other titled players would certainly give you a chance. 

chesst222

title is great ultimately it is about enjoying chess..I think there are a lot of challenging players out there and maybe you can gain a title but don't forget to enjoy the game however far you get

ponz111

Tubester, I may be wrong but is two points the least anyone can earn for winning a USCF game?

royalbishop

If your a member before your become a titled player  what will Chess.com do when that changes:

1) Free membership

2) Change your rank

3) Remove your previous stats and start at game 1.

WizardLaboratory

Don't forget the CM title!  Wink