Is chess a sport?

IronIC_U
lfPatriotGames wrote:
IronIC_U wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:
IronIC_U wrote:

Chess is officially recognized as a sport in China.  I believe it is too, in India.  Confirming both statements now...

As well as other Asian nations...

"official" sounds really official. So in India for example, since chess is "officially" a sport, if a person were to go to the India National Library and look for a book on chess, would it be under sports, or under games?

Well, I haven’t been to a library in either of those countries.  But I did see a list of the 100 plus countries that officially consider chess to be a sport.  I Remember China specifically being on that list, can’t recall for sure if India is.  However, USA is not on the list.

There is a list, I just couldn’t find it with the search engines.

OK. We have a national library. India has one. I suppose most countries do. In China, as well as India, what is chess listed under in their National Library? Sports, or games? If it's official, that must mean it's official.

That’s actually a really good point.  I wonder if that information is accessible on line?   It’s funny actually.  Thinking about all the librarians in a country which just declared chess to be a sport?  Those poor librarians.  They’re probably pulling their hair out!

Optimissed
vivo100 wrote:
Eevees4life wrote:
any type of sports, mental or physical, are still sports!

Agreed. 

Just as any type of guns: howitzers, shotguns, cannon or daisies are still guns.

Optimissed

It's fake news that chess isn't a sport!!

Ziryab
Optimissed wrote:
vivo100 wrote:
Eevees4life wrote:
any type of sports, mental or physical, are still sports!

Agreed. 

Just as any type of guns: howitzers, shotguns, cannon or daisies are still guns.

Daisies? Maybe this?

evert823

I just finished an OTB tournament where the TD had a very clear idea about this:

Optimissed

Thankyou New Zealand for a fabulous game of cricket and hard luck. They don't come closer than that. <3 Cricket is a sport.

hikarunaku
Optimissed wrote:

Thankyou New Zealand for a fabulous game of cricket and hard luck. They don't come closer than that. <3 Cricket is a sport.

Ya!  F$u# you mate. Congrats on your first ever world Cup win. 

Lucifer02

New Zealand always win

Optimissed
hikarunaku wrote:
Optimissed wrote:

Ya!  F$u# you mate. Congrats on your first ever world Cup win. 

Haha may there be another in the next thousand years.

lfPatriotGames
IronIC_U wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:
IronIC_U wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:
IronIC_U wrote:

Chess is officially recognized as a sport in China.  I believe it is too, in India.  Confirming both statements now...

As well as other Asian nations...

"official" sounds really official. So in India for example, since chess is "officially" a sport, if a person were to go to the India National Library and look for a book on chess, would it be under sports, or under games?

Well, I haven’t been to a library in either of those countries.  But I did see a list of the 100 plus countries that officially consider chess to be a sport.  I Remember China specifically being on that list, can’t recall for sure if India is.  However, USA is not on the list.

There is a list, I just couldn’t find it with the search engines.

OK. We have a national library. India has one. I suppose most countries do. In China, as well as India, what is chess listed under in their National Library? Sports, or games? If it's official, that must mean it's official.

That’s actually a really good point.  I wonder if that information is accessible on line?   It’s funny actually.  Thinking about all the librarians in a country which just declared chess to be a sport?  Those poor librarians.  They’re probably pulling their hair out!

Well? Do these countries that "officially" have declared chess a sport have it under games or sports in their national libraries? Someone posted what appears to be A library that has chess under sports, but if a country "officially" thinks chess is a sport, that would mean their national library has it under sports, right?

Optimissed

No because it would be up to the individual organisations to decide what they thought was most appropriate for their subject matter. Consequently, a sporting body might see it in their best interest to classify chess as sport and yet a library might classify it such that people could actually find the books.

Optimissed

Sorry I should have let "them" answer.

ConorAMcGregor

It's a game. 

Optimissed

A lot of comments have disappeared. Where did they go?

ConorAMcGregor

They removed the comments which said Chess is a sport. 

Optimissed

There were some silly ones .....

munchan123
Yes