Forums

Is Hot Tub Chess a Real Sport?

Sort:
victhestick

I know we have discussed this time and time again, but it is chess, there is water, and if you're lucky, cocktails.

Also, have any of you played in any coed leagues?

I find it distracting, and if the bubblers are on some players get touchy.

Feather-ism

Chess is a sport. The environmental conditions do not change that.

ivandh

I'm looking for scholarships

seeker88

you find hot tub chess distracting? or you find playing in co-ed leagues distracting?

personally i like the bubblers on. it is more challenging when the pieces wobble.

victhestick
seeker88 wrote:

you find hot tub chess distracting? or you find playing in co-ed leagues distracting?

personally i like the bubblers on. it is more challenging when the pieces wobble.

yes

Flamma_Aquila
seeker88 wrote:

Co-ed leagues? WTF? Why would there be anything BUT co-ed leagues. Who the heck would register for an all male hot tub anything?

And if you think its challenging when the pieces wobble, it gets even more so when your comely opponent is also wobbling, I imagine. Kiss

This thread has inspired me. I now must own a waterproof, floating chess set. I don't have a hot tub, or a pool, but this needs to exist. 

Flamma_Aquila
kramakintews wrote:

the white pieces?

Looks like quite the sausage boil you got going on there.

seeker88
victhestick wrote:
seeker88 wrote:

yes

hmm. i find the cocktails distracting. i can never decide what cocktail to have. one that goes with the hot tub? one that goes with my bathing suit? one that goes with my opponent's bathing suit? such decisions...

imgoingtobeatyouhaha

Cool! Where did you get the flotable chess board?

victhestick

ivandh

But that is merely a chess set by the hot tub, not in the hot tub. Or do you have attendants who move the pieces for you?

victhestick

the picture is from the hot tub, over looking a pool, in an ocean liner, over looking the ocean.

the chess set is on a circular turn table alowing 360 degree access.

there are bars at the for and aft ends of the pool, but they bring everyone fresh drinks every ten minutes or so until you pass out or go skeet shooting.

ivandh

I guess that will do

MrNimzoIndian
Feather-ism wrote:

Are you a Vulcan by any chance ? :-)

erik
Feather-ism wrote:

hot-tubbing is awesome. the game conditions do not change that. 

victhestick

playing from within a hot tube can change the dynamics of

any game, but the game itself must remain consistant.

bars at the for and aft ends of the pool,

can change the dynamics of any game,

and can also change the course of the entire event.

MrNimzoIndian

What they should do is an hour and half for thirty moves at a comfortable temperature and then reduce the temperature a degree a minute until there is a winner...