Forums

Is it true that Persians invented chess

Sort:
Attilius

Is there any scientific evidence or is it just a hypthosesis that chess was invented by the Persians?

Fear_ItseIf

As above the game itself is derived from chaturanga. However many segment of the modern chess we play can be attributed to cultures around the world. checkmate for example I believe comes from the persian words sakh maht (something along those lines) which translates to 'the king has fallen'. Obviously European cultures have had a wide influence on the rules and the re-naming of all the pieces.

DrFrank124c

I believe that chess evolved from Parcheesi, an Indian game and Parcheesi evolved from the mandalas Buddhists and Hindus used for meditation.  Chess itself is a meditation device. This is my opinion with no scientific backing whatever. If anyone has any evidence of this being true I would be interested in hearing, or reading, about it.   

Tangodabhi

Who invented chess?

DrFrank124c

Actually I invented chess. I did it because I wanted to play with myself. I mean chess not the other thing.

Pouriya36

if you search in historical reference you will know Persian made and play chess before indian and as you know you can find Persian word in chess playing

RonaldJosephCote

I know they make good rugs.Smile

tomtrytostay
No
tomtrytostay
I like post 6
RonaldJosephCote

Post 6 was posted 4 yrs ago. Since then NEW evidence has surfaced.Wink

TheLimbo-2

The modern chess as we play it is definitely a Persian game. Check this article out 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatranj#History

It is about Shatranj, an old form of today-chess. Almost all the rules and pieces of Shatranj were set by Persian. It is interesting to know that some of the words are still Persian. Check (Shah=King), mate( /maat/=out or lost), or Rook (/Rokh/=chariot).

So, even though the board and one the pieces, the King, might have originated from India. Chess as we play it TODAY is a Persian invention( with European modifications).

CookedQueen
Attilius wrote:

Is there any scientific evidence or is it just a hypthosesis that chess was invented by the Persians?

pure speculation

Pouriya36

The Karnamak-i Ardeshir-i Papakan, a Pahlavi epical treatise about the founder of the Sassanid Persian Empire, mentions the game of chatrang as one of the accomplishments of the legendary hero, Ardashir I, founder of the Empire.[28] The oldest recorded game in chess history is a 10th-century game played between a historian from Baghdad and a pupil

EhsanBa

part of India was in Persian empire. they send to king as gift. 

there is no difference ,  who invent alcohol, who invent computer , who invent number 

you can enjoy. happy.png

Reuben_Sammitch
Attilius wrote:

No. The earliest history of chess dates back to Western India circa 500 AD, where it was known as chaturanga, a Sanskrit name meaning "four arms" - figuratively, "army".

The four arms, or branches of the army, were chariots, elephants, cavalry, and infantry. Those are seen in today's game in the form of rooks, bishops (long story), knights, and pawns respectively.

The game was later exported to Persia via trade routes and known there as chatrang, which later became the Saracen shatranj.

Source: A Short History of Chess, by Henry A. Davidson.

Sander-Cohen

A document that might illuminate some stuff for readers: https://www.jstor.org/stable/25228633?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

ArianZiaee

This discussion has been going on for 8 years

abbastoof

Murray and van der Linde the two chess historians were almost certain that the birthplace of chess was Indian sub-continent, but most certainly it was invented in Iran for the following reasons: 

http://www.parstimes.com/sports/chess/chess.html

squirtle

bump

siddu_st

No. Chess was invented by India in 7th Century CE