Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Is OTB easier than online?

trysts wrote:
    Stormbringer wrote:

lol, yes you do. Cause its not a Woodshover post without you!!!

Hilarious!

I used to think you two were the same person!! (duel accounts) Cause every post you be right there saying something funny to promote what he was saying.Smile

Stormbringer wrote:
    trysts wrote:
    Stormbringer wrote:

lol, yes you do. Cause its not a Woodshover post without you!!!

Hilarious!

I used to think you two were the same person!! (duel accounts) Cause every post you be right there saying something funny to promote what he was saying.

When I discovered woodshover, he was rated about 800. National Masters were making fun of him. I went to my drug dealer and explained the problem. She said that quarters cost more money, because it's a higher grade. But let's get back to woodshover. He needed support. He was about to quit Chess.com. I said to myself, "Self, this is a good cause. You must spend your time being inebriated, and help woodshover."

Today, I am a better person because of that very short conversation with myself...and woodshover is famous!Laughing

LMAO!!  I don't see why ppl give that dude grief, he's always been very nice to me. And plz dont let the first photos we all see of you be a mug shot. (like a Nick Nolte) Cause I dont think my heart or funny bone could take it!! Smile

chrisr2212 wrote:

i miss otb chess mainly because i used to play with this book at the side of the board... can't do that online

LOL 

Stormbringer wrote:

LMAO!!  I don't see why ppl give that dude grief, he's always been very nice to me. And plz dont let the first photos we all see of you be a mug shot. (like a Nick Nolte) Cause I dont think my heart or funny bone could take it!!

Nick Nolte looked terrible in that photo! Those are millionaires doing a lot more than having a joint, that's for sure! I promise, I just look like waitress with slightly red eyesSmile

Harder in which way psychology? Or physically? Either way from the opinion I have developed psychologically they are about even, they both come with their own set of factors, though this depends on how seriously one is playing online and otb. Physically otb hands down, involves dealing with face to face encounters you have to be able to keep your clock in check and with this you have to put a time limit on everything. A couple hilarious stories I have involve getting a case of the shits in the last round of a tourney, it felt like I had to limit each trip to the bathroom to 5 minutes and then spend 5 minutes on the move. I kind of got off track but you get my point.

When I play blitz, then it`s easier for me to play online, because it`s easier to follow time on your clock. I have lost several OTB blitz games just because I`ve forgotten about time. This never happens in online blitz.

Playing longer time controls it`s not easy for me to stay at PC for so long time to consider options in complicated position or to await for opponents answer. Also in longer time controls there is always higher degree of posibility that your opponent is cheating. So I prefer OTB to play longer games.

More enjoyable? Yes. Easier? Not a chance

OTB is definitely easier on your eyes and you get less headaches.

I so prefer Over The Board to online....for me its more about a less of a chance that someone will decided to be rude and cuss at you for winning. I also prefer the competition, nothing better then OTB. Man vs Man......the emotion of the game, the passion of the game. Nothing get better....getting ready for a tournament..the tactical time spent, endgame time spent and just brushing up your openings and knowing who is at the tournament and preparing new stuff to beat those people because they are in unfamiliar territory.....That is the best....getting a stronger player to play into your home preparedness or analyzation.

On-line chess is something to do if you've had a few beers and are feeling silly enough to whip out some 18th century opening line to see what the heck happens.

OTB chess is chess. 

There is no comparison. 

Pawnpusher3 wrote:

Hey guys, I was wondering about your opinion on this. I do so much better with real pieces. Wanted to know what you all thought :)

OTB is much more enjoyable...online is just something to do.

Thanks for all your input guys. OTB is great, and I am still playing there. Makes it a lot of fun to play with some old friends and meet some new ones as well. Its also more fun to experience what it is like face to face. Its a different atmosphere, which couldn't be better :)

I Feel Like OTB Is Way Better. 1) Because There Is Almost No Practical Way To Cheat. 2) Easier To See Peices And Possible Moves IMO. 3) Less Rage

I am much better at OTB. It is more of an experience and there is more consequence to each game.

Exactly What I Am Saying.

Great, so reading all the posts, the conclusion is online chess is OK but OTB is the best!

Can an online newspaper ever replaces a big newsPAPER in your hands, that you can also roll up and hit a fly? or hit the dog? or in South Africa, use to clean the braai apparatus for barbeque, and then start the fire with it?

Can online chess ever replaces the battle on a plastic/carton/wooden chess board, the look on your 200+ opponent's face when you checkmate him, or the disastrous feeling when it happens to you? (Hey, at our chess club you can order a beer while playing! It helps when you had a bad game. It is not nice to sit in front of you computer drinking alone...)

A lot of things is just better in your hands than a keyboard....

[COMMENT DELETED]
    Pawnpusher3 wrote:

Hey guys, I was wondering about your opinion on this. I do so much better with real pieces. Wanted to know what you all thought :)

Your right... for some, online chess seems strange at first. As you continue to play, it becomes quite comfortable and there is not much difference really. Its just a matter of preference. Hope I clearly answered your post.

Sorry it is the other way round.otb is 3d so making sly moves catches u off the guard.

Online Now