Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
Another-Life
BungaBungaFischer wrote:

just play nakamura, he will mess up by the touch-move rule or something like that. gg

You think a super GM can't afford a huge blunder against an amateur and still win?

DjonniDerevnja
mdinnerspace wrote:

The gap difference is irrelevent to the debate. You can't compare 2000 vs 600 to 1300 vs 2700; both 1400 difference.

The 2700 is 1 of the world's best with a skill level many of you apparantly do not comprehend.

true, and  the difference between a 2700 nd a 2200 is much larger then between the 2200 and the1400.

Some 2700 are easier to beat than others. Against Giri the winningchances is  minimum, regardless of rating. But the drawingchances are higher against Giri, than it is against the ther top ten. He doesnt put the pieces dangerously. Topalov can easyier get beaten, because he now and then does something strange. 

Taulmaril

Easier to beat for whom? Another top player? Because class players would all be beaten handily by those guys and the games would likely look almost identical.

Ziryab
mdinnerspace wrote:

In my book, if you're #39 you qualify as 1 of the world's best.

Absolutely!

Every 2650+ could beat every poster to this thread in a simul while drunk and blindfolded.

Ziryab
alexm2310 wrote:

mdinnerspace, feels like the most repetitive thing in the thread recently is you telling people they don't understand, over and over again lol

Such a message is useful to others who are reading. The posters who do not understand WILL NOT understand. That's a given, sorta like the expectation that FAUX viewers could be convinced to consider evidence based reasoning. It ain't gonna happen. But, the lurkers might be persuaded. 

mdinnerspace

Bungas account is 2 days old.

His 1st thread is searching for a chess clock that would allow him to cheat.

Won't take somebody long to recognize his previous username.

Where you banned for abuse or cheating? I see you've won every game played thus far.

DjonniDerevnja

A reciepe for 1300 beating 2700. First  a lot of cash is needed, and also perfect memory, then you hire some super-GMs to make some fantastic preparations, and remember them accurately. If maximum luck the 2700 doesnt step outside the line and goes down to that trap. I dont know if its possible, but there were a prepvictory in Fagernes chess international, where a 2400 did beat a 2300 WGM, only moving as prepped. That 2400 of course were good enough to win even if his opponent went out of line, but he risked something, and sacrified a lot material.

The chance of the GM walking on that tiny path you have prepped is of course very, very smal, but it is larger than absolute zero.

A problem is that the 2700 senses that it is a prep, and slides away from the line. Magnus usually slides out of the mainline.

denner

Why is this thread still going?

Ziryab
alexm2310 wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
alexm2310 wrote:

mdinnerspace, feels like the most repetitive thing in the thread recently is you telling people they don't understand, over and over again lol

Such a message is useful to others who are reading. The posters who do not understand WILL NOT understand. That's a given, sorta like the expectation that FAUX viewers could be convinced to consider evidence based reasoning. It ain't gonna happen. But, the lurkers might be persuaded. 

If they won't understand, why bother telling them so? The thread is 3,700+ comments in and still the majority are stupid as shit, or off topic. Unless he can magically make these guys realise just how much better a 2700 is than a 1300, there's pretty much no point commenting at this point.

When you quote something, you should read it first. You comment reveals absolute failure to comprehend my comment.

I'll spell it out: WHEN I REPLY TO YOU WHO ARE IGNORANT, I AM SPEAKING TO OTHERS WHO ARE NOT.

mdinnerspace

Ziryab writes:

I'll spell it out: WHEN I REPLY TO YOU WHO ARE IGNORANT, I AM SPEAKING TO OTHERS WHO ARE NOT.

OK to quote you when I encounter knuckleheads?

mdinnerspace

My comments will never convince anyone, inclined to fantasize of playing and winning Giri, that hope is an illusion.

Beating on a dead horse.

I debate those that offer a 'mathematical possibility.'

I claim this logic is inheritently faulty

nichster

yes

Colin20G
mdinnerspace wrote:

My comments will never convince anyone, inclined to fantasize of playing and winning Giri, that hope is an illusion.

Beating on a dead horse.

The math conclusion is 100% sound. It is the assumptions you have to make in order to apply it which are unrealistic.

Ziryab
mdinnerspace wrote:

Ziryab writes:

OK to quote you when I encounter knuckleheads?

If it helps.

mdinnerspace

Can't argue with numbers, equations and sound mathematical proofs.

The assumptions made (as Colin 20 points out) might be unrealistic. A view similiar (?) to my own and not often expressed, at least here.

dauber_wins

mdinnerspace wrote:

Can't argue with numbers, equations and sound mathematical proofs.

The assumptions made (as Colin 20 points out) might be unrealistic. A view similiar (?) to my own and not often expressed, at least here.

I once asked this man to prove that the number zero is even. zero is not a number , its a place holder , he said. Of course he deleted his response.

913Glorax12

You guys are bored today.

Elubas
Ziryab wrote:
alexm2310 wrote:

Such a message is useful to others who are reading.

No, it's obnoxious, lol. If his comments actually persuade people, I guess those people are to blame for allowing themselves to be so easily persuaded.

Elubas
Ziryab wrote:
mdinnerspace wrote:

In my book, if you're #39 you qualify as 1 of the world's best.

Absolutely!

Every 2650+ could beat every poster to this thread in a simul while drunk and blindfolded.

I think I'd have a chance. Blind simuls are pretty darn tough.

Elubas
Colin20G wrote:
mdinnerspace wrote:

Beating on a dead horse.

The math conclusion is 100% sound. It is the assumptions you have to make in order to apply it which are unrealistic.

What do you mean by that, though? I mean, we clearly know we're not going to get an infinite amount of monkeys, etc, but the idea is that if we did, then somewhere in the infinite process we should see Shakespeare.

And likewise we could make an infinite 1300 vs 2700 theorem.