Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
ModestAndPolite
greenibex wrote:

Anything is possible.

Not necessarily. It is true only if there is an infinity of universes.

goodrunner1

Or the 2700 is Chucky in the mood to "chuck" pieces your way for free

DjonniDerevnja

1300s playes good games inbetween. I am 1408, and the last week I have several games with a Caps score above 95, three above 97. The best 98,56.

tondeaf

yes

oralcoimucap
tondeaf wrote:

yes

DjonniDerevnja

After improving a lot losing games otb and getting them analysed by great players (Trond Støre, IM Johan Sebastian Christiansen) my rating dropped to 1396 Fide. So now I officially is a 1300.  Yesterday I played a game otb (90 min 30 sec increments) with CAPS accuracy slightly better than Magnus Carlsen average. So watch out 2700, the 1300s are biting  happy.png   https://www.chess.com/blog/DjonniDerevnja/yes-i-made-a-super-game-in-the-clubchampionship-caps-score-98-66

BigKingBud

Maybe if he caught him off guard, and he had a bat.

Ziryab

I can beat a 2700 at tiddlywinks and most drinking games, unless they are Russian.

benbenn

It's definitely gonna be hard because often people are scared of going against better people and since the person you're playing against is twice your rating, you know....

Denhamman

If Chuck Norris was rated 1300 the 2700 a player would Lose !

Ziryab
Denhamman wrote:

If Chuck Norris was rated 1300 the 2700 a player would Lose !

Absurd. If Chuck Norris were 2700, the odds would get a lot better for the 1300.

DjonniDerevnja

A question that is asked this weekend; Can a 14 year old 2000 kid, Daniel Norquelle, beat the 2800 Fabiano Caruana in the Norway Gnome match? Or can a 2200 beat the world Champion?

Mauve26
chessking1976 wrote:
Mauve26 wrote:

the answer is yes.

Sometimes you only want to "like" a comment, not reply to it.

Then you must like this comment, because you certainly did reply to it.

Cherub_Enjel

The short and simple answer to this is:

Yes - chess games are determined by many unknown and uncontrollable factors - brain chemistry can make you play good one day, and bad the other day. On the more extreme level, if the 2700 has a heart attack or stroke during the game, the 1300 can win (or something like that happens). 

This is just an extension of "good form, bad form", which allows for many upsets in chess to happen. 

LambSacrifice

Heart attack during play?

ilikewindmills
Sometimes I take a knife into online games so I can stab the opponent when they're winning.
Cherub_Enjel

Or, if you'd rather, some hallucination brought about by extremely bad form. Remember Kramnik blundered M1. Basically, the answer is yes, because it's how weak players beat strong players occasionally, and so if we extend those conditions, then it's possible for a player's form to be so bad they blunder and lose to a 1300 (and the 1300 could be very lucky, and be in good form). 

Tian04

possible, but not plausible.

Cherub_Enjel

Definitely not plausible for a 2700 to beat a 1300, I agree. I would buy a lottery ticket rather than bet on that

Pashak1989

I think chances are probably 1 in 50,000.