Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
pestebalcanica

I meant visually obviously.

greenibex

they just play and he loses

big deal

i have lost to my grandma and she is a beginner

who cares. it is just a boardgame.  why don't you go to restaurant and tell everyone that you are a 1300 rated player and see if anyone cares

mdinnerspace

RetiFan wrote:

Does anyone know anything about rating inflation? Maybe in a distant future 2700 would not be a great rating while this thread is still alive, does rating inflation work like that? Then, maybe the chances will increase?

My understanding is that only 1% of all rated players will be rated as master. 1% of those achieve 2400 with 1% of those reaching 2600. So no, rating "inflation" does not occur. What is seen today is there are more players, so naturally you'll find more higher rated players, with the upper limit rating increasing (generally they only play each other.)

RickRenegade
Najgrunfeld wrote:

As a 2700 rated player in blitz, i can say that this is completely impossible. i cant lose even to 2400 rated guys.

Are you real?

DjonniDerevnja
RickRenegade wrote:
Najgrunfeld wrote:

As a 2700 rated player in blitz, i can say that this is completely impossible. i cant lose even to 2400 rated guys.

Are you real?

He is real, but he is talking about chess.com rating, not fide. 2400 Fide is stronger and a fast 2400 fide is a real challenge for a 2700.

Mauve26

mods, please lock this. We get it. the answer is yes.

KairavJoshi
Ziryab wrote:
GeniusKJ wrote:

You guys aren't done yet? :)

A new generation has been born since the thread began. 

I have a feeling this thread will still be around when I become a grandfather.

sovalye17

no

greenibex
Mauve26 wrote:

i don't understand why the answer is yes.

please explain

samyakdeshpande

welll i think about this question is actually right... because a player like me can win with a grandmaster easily if the mind of mine is clear and i think about no other topic.. the grandmaster must have also practiced his every game but he must have lost some games and he did think about playing another lying make a difference...

Joker-Jamal

GeniusKJ написал:

Ziryab wrote:

GeniusKJ wrote:

You guys aren't done yet? :)

A new generation has been born since the thread began. 

I have a feeling this thread will still be around when I become a grandfather.

This thread is very actual as this is the one that defines the chess rating importance,and not the game of chess.....

DjonniDerevnja

This tread is 4 years old. Maybe a superGM to bee was born when the tread started, maybe she only plays on internet and gets IM strenght at the age of nine, and beats a superGM in her second or third otb-tournament, before she has got an official rating.  

Ziryab

A good tread can last 80,000 miles. Threads like this one

will outlive the grandchildren of boys and girls who have not started dating yet.

Elubas
greenibex wrote:
Mauve26 wrote:

i don't understand why the answer is yes.

please explain

This is why the thread must go on. Because people will not read the 200 pages of explanation that came before them.

Elubas
Ziryab wrote:

A good tread can last 80,000 miles. Threads like this one

will outlive the grandchildren of boys and girls who have not started dating yet.

I just hope that when we leave this world, there will be worthy contributors to this thread to take our place.

indiaonsicily

Yes. After a Deep Fritz Vs Kramnik blunder, that is

Elubas

Exactly.

mdinnerspace

I wrote a program to find the answer and tapped the start button 28 days ago. It's still spitting out zeros but since we've all learned in this thread that anything is possible, I'll let it continue to run until it finds a solution.

If there is 1 in 100 chance, and you get 100 tries...
If there is 1 in 10,000 chance, and you get 10,000 tries...
etc
1 in N chance, and you get N tries, for very large numbers your chance of success goes to 1-(e^-1) or a little better than 63%

mdinnerspace

LOL.... here we go again. Mathamatics gives a 63 percent chanch. Nice formula. I'm sure it has been been proven to be the primary formula to validate/ prove that anything is possible, including a monkey one day typing a complete Shakespeare novel.

How about this formula: I'll eat my hat if it ever happens!