Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 6 hours ago · Quote · #4941

arcaneterrain

Most likely scenario for a loss would be a time loss when he thinks there is a secondary time control and there isn't.  Think that happened a few months ago, did it not?

• 6 hours ago · Quote · #4942

RetiFan

arcaneterrain yazmış:

Most likely scenario for a loss would be a time loss when he thinks there is a secondary time control and there isn't.  Think that happened a few months ago, did it not?

Time control is a factor, yes. For example, Magnus Carlsen lost a very good game against Topalov due time. However, the question is even if that happens, would a 1300 survive until 2700 loses on time? That means 1300 should survive at least 40 moves which is roughly 0.245% chance by my calculations and 0.0125% chance by calculations of another good person here in this forum. And please be reminded that this is given the 2700 will lose on time if it comes to that. Chances of that happening is also slim.

• 5 hours ago · Quote · #4943

greenibex

chessking1976 wrote:

greenibex wrote:

chessking1976 wrote:

greenibex wrote:

are we talking about beating someone at chess or

something else like russian roulette?

Chess. Russian roulette odds are just 1/6, yes?

yes

but a 1300 rated player at russian roulette probably gets the bullet more times than the 2700 rated russian roulette player.

so to answer the question, then i would say a 1300 rated could not beat a 2700 player because the person would get the bullet more times.  and thus not be able to survive as long as the 2700 player

Most compelling argument thus far.

thank you

discuss among yourselves

• 3 hours ago · Quote · #4944

DavidPeters2

I don't really get people discounting scenarios where gm plays a poor game. You are basically arguing 2700 is a bigger number than 1300. Gm's do occasionally play below their rating, sometimes they play big blunders. Can a 1300 take advantage? Chances are very very tiny, but not nil. People win the lottery don't they?

• 92 minutes ago · Quote · #4945

DjonniDerevnja

RetiFan wrote:
    arcaneterrain yazmış:

Time control is a factor, yes. For example, Magnus Carlsen lost a very good game against Topalov due time. However, the question is even if that happens, would a 1300 survive until 2700 loses on time? That means 1300 should survive at least 40 moves which is roughly 0.245% chance by my calculations and 0.0125% chance by calculations of another good person here in this forum. And please be reminded that this is given the 2700 will lose on time if it comes to that. Chances of that happening is also slim.

Topalov -Carlsen 1-0 in Norway Chess was exactly that game Carlsen lost because there were new timecontrolrules, and Carlsen hadnt learnt them. 

Post your reply: