Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 25 hours ago · Quote · #4901

DjonniDerevnja

The biggest upset from a simultan  today.  IM Johan Salomon only is ca 1000 rating above me, but he was able to defeat me. He got an advantage I couldnt defend from move ten.

• 25 hours ago · Quote · #4902

mdinnerspace

vahsek32 wrote:

actually possible, Harold Dondis beat Bobby Fischer in a simul, although he was an 1800.

I once beat a I'M. I was 1600. The terms were after every piece or pawn captured, a shot of tequila was taken by the capturing side. Needless to say, I proceeded to lose anything and everything, careful not to be mated. Just before my last piece faced certain death (Obviously the King) poor ole Igor passed out and lost on time.

Does this count?

• 21 hours ago · Quote · #4903

Elubas

richie_and_oprah wrote:

Some people would prefer to keep arguing rather than learn and move on in life.

This is why we have forums?

Well, talking is fun, a lot of times, isn't it? It's a lot more personal than just indirectly listening to a youtube video or something, there's interaction. Surely, forums aren't aimed for the most 100% accurate learning, and that's quite ok. Sure, I think it's good to research things too, but one can do both. I've looked at academic papers and high level videos on issues like this before, but I also like to discuss things in a more casual setting. It's just human I guess.

• 20 hours ago · Quote · #4904

thekillerlemon

stop sending me meseges

• 20 hours ago · Quote · #4905

thekillerlemon

angry.png

• 19 hours ago · Quote · #4906

mdinnerspace

10,000 years into the future, mankind will witness what may be the most spectacular devastation in our entire existence. Proven to be inevitable, two massive black holes are set to have the ultimate collision of all time.

One of these black holes weighs around 140 million suns. Its competitor, the OJ 287, is determined to be the most massive black hole in the known universe—weighing around 18 billion Suns.

• 19 hours ago · Quote · #4907

mdinnerspace

Kinda like a 1300 vs 2700.

• 18 hours ago · Quote · #4908

richie_and_oprah

• 17 hours ago · Quote · #4909

Elubas

Good stuff! :) Gotta love arguing.

• 17 hours ago · Quote · #4910

soonhuatlee

Blitz game and the 2700 comes late

• 15 hours ago · Quote · #4911

mdinnerspace wrote:

Yes, I understand the practical use of statistics and probabilities and how they are applied. It represents a powerful tool of our understanding. That being said, I reserve my thoughts that numbers may not represent the true nature of a given event occurring in the future. To think in absolute terms is a mistake imo.

Hmm, so maybe your idea is sort of... "it's so incredibly unlikely, that it's best to assume it will never happen in reality." And that's true, I agree. I'm also going to live my life day to day assuming it will never happen. And if someone told me they did it, I wouldn't believe them.

So regarding the highlighted part of your quote, I guess I just want to say the math isn't saying all heads or all tails is possible... well, at least that's somewhat misrepresenting it. The math part is only counting the possible outcomes. Realizing that none of these outcomes if favored over the other is just a common sense observation (the point I'd like you to agree with). Believing that no one will ever predict a sequence and then flip that same sequence is also a common sense idea (your main point I think, that I will agree with).

• 15 hours ago · Quote · #4912

JihadZM

There A Kid Beat A IM And Now He GrandMaster 

See : http://ow.ly/Loy9303Bikn

• 15 hours ago · Quote · #4913

isaacnewt

• 12 hours ago · Quote · #4914

mdinnerspace

011 writes:

Believing that no one will ever predict a sequence and then flip that same sequence is also a common sense idea (your main point I think, that I will agree with)

I have been thinking along the line of very large numbers. Predicting a seguence of all tails, all heads or anything in between of HTTH coin flips may not be practicable for humans in a 1 in 10 million chanch. A computer simply predicts all possibilities. Flip a coin 10 million times and a pattern shows itself, proving that pattern was a possibility. I'm looking forward to further research on probabilities.

Reminds me of the old days of the lottery. Odds of winning were say 1 in 5 million. Jack-pot reaches over 50 million. A few very rich risk takers would lay down 5 million cash for every possible combination. The State quickly put an end to that idea.

Post your reply: