Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 5 days ago · Quote · #4461

mdinnerspace

It is called cheating. Wonder why in simuls a player plays only one color? It is to prevent this very thing.

• 5 days ago · Quote · #4462

TheronG12

Maybe it's also so they can get twice as many people to pay for the same number of boards.

But yeah, I don't think I'm actually going to try it. Since even if it worked, you would find some absurd reason for claiming that it doesn't prove anything tongue.png

• 4 days ago · Quote · #4463

Elubas

"Since even if it worked, you would find some absurd reason for claiming that it doesn't prove anything tongue.png"

Haha, yeah :) "Real" 2700s refuse to play 1300s anyway!

I never thought about cheating in that way before. Rather than asking someone what should I play, you use information in the game to your advantage.

Perhaps you're a cheater due to a certain kind of correspondence, since instead of using an engine, you're using someone else playing chess. On the other hand, in a lot of tournaments you can go to, there are just tables full of players, and you're often right next to one or two other players, who are playing someone else. There could be some chance that seeing the moves they play would help me with my game, like if they happened to be using the same opening as my opponent is (which could just happen by coincidence, not necessarily by collusion). But I would never think looking at someone else's game would get me into trouble! That's certainly never specified as a rule in any event I go to, to not look at a board a few inches away from you!

But if I'm allowed to see boards of players next to me, then why not do it in the 2700 case?

I don't know. I hear warnings about using engines, your cell phone going off, but nothing about this. Maybe somewhere buried in the rules this is addressed, but I don't know.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #4464

DjonniDerevnja

There are good reasons for the 2700 to play against 1300s on the internet or maybe on the beach. It might be relaxing. Every game they play against masters is vary hard and exhausting fights. Even a 2700 might want to play some games  only for fun.

It might be a good way to play you down after a hard match.

Other sportsmen, like runners, often goes for a very slow jog after the race.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #4465

Elubas

"Every game they play against masters is vary hard and exhausting fights."

Games against 2200s are probably very easy for them.

Post your reply: