Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 30 hours ago · Quote · #4921

Elubas

Well I might argue quite the opposite, mdinnerspace, with how to interpret the fact that I might make a "synopsis" of your view. Isn't that kind of charitable? I could just say, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but instead I am trying to take what you say, which isn't always clear to me, and trying to put it into my own words, so that I can attempt to respond to what you're saying. That I might not know exactly what you're saying wouldn't be unique to me -- lots of us on this thread have been trying to figure out what you mean, but you often don't make it very clear. At least I am trying to figure out what you mean. And surely, you don't always seem to respond to my points, either. So the miscommunications are far from one-sided.

So you say (again, me attempting to form what you said into some coherent idea) that sometimes, what the numbers suggest, isn't exactly what reality is. And you mention it has something to do with large numbers. Well, that's why I was talking about "slim chances" like 1 in 1000: it seems like you don't complain about the use of math when it's for "normal" chances like the odds of rolling a 5 on a six sided die, or getting two heads in a row. You seem to have a problem with extending this very far out, presumably because the probabilities get so low that they are impractical. So it often seems like you're arguing that when the math predicts odds that are "low enough," they somehow cease to exist anymore.

You keep saying that other factors are in play when it comes to a one time event. Would you mind listing some of those, if you want people to understand what you're talking about?

• 25 hours ago · Quote · #4922

arcaneterrain

As I noted before, there was a 1441 victory over a 2251 in 2011.  The 1441 won the tourny 4-0 with 2 wins over Class As, a win over an Expert, and a win over a Master.

• 23 hours ago · Quote · #4923

mdinnerspace

Elubas wrote:

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but instead I am trying to take what you say, which isn't always clear to me, and trying to put it into my own words, so that I can attempt to respond to what you're saying.

Exactly what I pointed out Elubas. If other people want a further explanation, they can ask me, we don't need you to explain your interpretation of my ideas to them. You don't understand what I'm saying anyway. What in the heck are you doing making guesses? You then proceed with your "superior" reasoning. You don't get my views. I get that. Please refrain from constantly repeating how you think I'm ignorant. I do not partake in childish name calling. You should not either. I read a scathing post by a member in your blog about determinism. It seems this behavior has been a constant over the years. Maybe one day you'll get the message that referring to people's views as pathetic, ignorant, proclaiming your views are right, they are wrong deserves no respect.

• 23 hours ago · Quote · #4924

mdinnerspace

Elubas wrote:

You keep saying that other factors are in play when it comes to a one time event. Would you mind listing some of those, if you want people to understand what you're talking about?

I have written of my views more than several times. I will not dignify your accusation by repeating them.

Again, you state "factors in play when it comes to a one time event" when in fact I wrote of factors as they relate over a period of time, Not a one time event in time. You completely turned my statement around, leading me to believe everything I say gets rejected before you glance it over.

• 6 hours ago · Quote · #4925

Elubas

Well, no, when I "summarize your view," generally, I have a decent feeling that that is related to what you believe. The fact that sometimes it isn't just means that, well, I don't always interpret 100% of what you say correctly. That applies for everybody, does it not? Do you think you know every nuance of my argument? Probably not. Even if you know the overall summary, there are probably some aspects you would get wrong, since this is kind of a nuanced issue.

So I mean, if you consider not being 100% correct in everything I do such a horrible thing, then ok, I'm a terrible person. But the way I see it, I'm trying to find as much meaning as I can in what you say, and I see that as productive. I'm sorry you don't. We all do a little bit of each, don't we? We give an approximation of what we think the other might believe, and we also ask for clarification. That seems quite normal and reasonable. I'm not sure why you are making it out to be so bad.

As for calling you ignorant and such. You're really going to play the ad hominem game? Ok then... and you have called my position nonsense zillions of times. You keep saying that I just think everything is possible like I'm some eight year old child who wants Santa to be real. So uh, quite ironic that you would complain about ad hominems, wouldn't you say? I'm not saying you have to like having your view criticized, but obviously, don't single me out if you do the same. Most people on forums do criticize each other's views. Many members on this topic did just that. So I'm not sure what the big deal is, here.

• 6 hours ago · Quote · #4926

Elubas

"I have written of my views more than several times. I will not dignify your accusation by repeating them."

Well, I genuinely don't know of these factors you spoke of, and it would be helpful, and frankly, interesting, if you did list them. You don't even need to explain them, just listing them would be helpful. It might be that you did mention them, but it's hard to find where you did because you also did a lot of rambling, so maybe it was difficult for me to find.

"Again, you state "factors in play when it comes to a one time event" when in fact I wrote of factors as they relate over a period of time, Not a one time event in time"

Well, I'm quoting the last post that you made, so that seems pretty reasonable to me, I would think. Here's what you just said on page 246, post #4917:

"That other factors are in play relative to a one time event."

So, you did speak of a one-time event, there. Maybe there is some nuance to this I didn't catch, but that's certainly not completely twisting your statement. What I claimed you said was based almost on a direct quote. I'm not sure how high your standards are, they must be incredibly high. If I got something wrong, you can simply clear it up.

• 6 hours ago · Quote · #4927

superpatzer247

They're on a different planet, you only have to watch their bullet and blitz. I'd give CM /NMs on their best day a slim chance of pulling the upset versus a super GM on his worst but anyone lower than master (2200 -2250) forget it.

Post your reply: