Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
blaow

Correction, Browne could have saved mate with e6, but black would go into a vastly superior endgame.

Dude_3
blaow wrote:

Correction, Browne could have saved mate with e6, but black would go into a vastly superior endgame.

true

Jacksimus

My room mate has asked this of me, like is it possible to "luck" into just the right moves to beat a master?

They would have to be very lucky no?

nameno1had
Jacksimus wrote:

My room mate has asked this of me, like is it possible to "luck" into just the right moves to beat a master?

I would recommend playing the lottery first...

Conflagration_Planet
Jacksimus wrote:

It would indeed be possible for somebody rated below 500 to luck into the right moves to beat the world champ, but the odds would be so high against it, you might as well call it impossible.

dezsoracz

2509 is far from 2700. That is an other level, ask any GM about it.

nameno1had
dezsoracz wrote:

2509 is far from 2700. That is an other level, ask any GM about it.

GM and Super GM....some 2509's might not even be a GM under FIDE rules for achieving the rating

madhacker

2700 vs 2500:

One of the English GMs, I've forgotten which one, is meant to have described played Karpov as follows. You play a good opening, get a good position, make good plans, improve your position, think you might have a shot at winning, and then suddenly it will dawn on you that your position is totally lost, and you have no idea how or why.

karthikdchamp

2700 cant be so stupidUndecided

Shippen
mosh_viteza wrote:

i was beaten twice by a 1200 player recently.His strenght was about 2000 :D

Yes I took a look at the game, a fluke can happen.

zborg

Every 400 rating points represents a QUALITATIVE leap is chess playing ability.

In the U.S. only 10 pecent of active tournament players ever break 1800.  That's "2 leaps" from a 1000 rating.  And only 1 percent of active tournament players ever break 2200.

So can 1300 win against 2700?  NOPE.  Except in our dreams.

It ain't computer science.  Sorry.  

Stevie65

Or joey's

zborg

Hey, are we doing a tag team on these two threads?  Like WWF wrestling?

As Madman George Steel said, "I wrestle scientifically."  Laughing

Stevie65

Scientifically:......0-9  threads...exponentionally..oops!   Am i stuck to your shoe?.Shit i burnt my oxford..OK Z i promise i'll just listen..well?   Maybe!

micaman994

Anything can happen in chess!!!!

zborg

Anything can happen in these threads.  And often does.

blake78613

A 1300 player could have read and memorized a trap and be lucky enough for a 2700 player to play the line and fall into an opening trap. 

Stevie65

Z..This is not funny...i was gonna comment on the women thread..but since you give the wrestleing bollux  i feel oppressed now...It's early morning there now..do you not need pancakes or something!

HighNoon52

What about two 1300 players - combined they would be the equivalent of a 2600 player - definitely a reasonable match for a 2700

netzach

I like Blake's idea.

Since the 1300 has no chance in a million of winning lure the 2700 (GM) into a trap!