Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Armaan30
I’d say a 1 in 500,000 chance
htaed_fo_legna

Sure. The 1300 is actually an extremely talented prodigy who has been playing against real life opponents and has only recently joined a chess site. The 2700 just happened to be one of the first persons in his path.

superchessmachine
htaed_fo_legna wrote:

Sure. The 1300 is actually an extremely talented prodigy who has been playing against real life opponents and has only recently joined a chess site. The 2700 just happened to be one of the first persons in his path.

lol

htaed_fo_legna
superchessmachine wrote:
htaed_fo_legna wrote:

lol

I'm glad to provide additional entertainment alongside chess.

amiakr8

Or a sandbagger GM.  

amiakr8

I wonder how often a 1300 or so goes up against a GM.  1500's and above happens fairly often when tournaments are split between  Open and U2000 sections; but the 1300's usually stick to U2000 (OTB).

fpon

all very funny.   A 1300 has zero (0) chance to beat a 2200 much less a 2700.   IF a 1300 beats a 1700, where again he has a 0 chance, that means most likely the 1300 is underrated and is rapidly improving so the 1300 rating is inaccurate, and/or the 1700 is really chess blind that day.    I beat an 1800 OTB, I think it was 18 moves, certainly less than 20, when I was 1100; standard time controls i.e, LONG;  won $150 for best upset of tournament; he so looked down on me that in a much superior position he played quickly and allowed me to back rank mate him.   He didn't think I knew how to sacrifice the exchange to win.  We played again the following year, same annual tournament, He was much more careful;  yes I lost.   When I was 1550, I drew a master 2200; I remain the ONLY 1500 player that master ever played that he didn't beat.   Ratings account poorly for rapidly improving players. 

amiakr8

I would have to take issue with 1300 having zero chance of beating a 1700 (ELO right?).  400 rating pt differential doesn't equate to zero chance.  There's also the infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters theory.