Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

I just noticed that 1300 and 2700 add up to an even 4000.  

The fact that it is evenly divisible by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 means, yes, you can beat a 2700 under certain circumstances.

reflectivist yazmış:

I just noticed that 1300 and 2700 add up to an even 4000.  

The fact that it is evenly divisible by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 means, yes, you can beat a 2700 under certain circumstances.

Number Theory, right?

of course.

the 1300 player could be better, but not play online as much.

also the 2700 player could make a bad mistake.

Maybe,if the 1300 player's coach taught him a stratagy that is played only like 4 times in chess history and than,Maybe the 1300 player will win.But only in a small chance

after 10 beers maybe

oegiwoegi wrote:

after 10 beers maybe

Laughing

I get careless and lose to people I could normally easily beat. I imagine this would happen less for the grand masters, but it is possible.

Should you get a chance and a queen and land,

Priests and knights and folks to command,

What's stopping you from beating the world,

Since all you need is inside your hand?

ANSWER

You can have a chance and a queen and land,

Priests and knights and folks to command,

If you're not a king as a real king is,

Then all you have will be dusts in sand.

Possible: Yes.

Likely: No.

Simplest answer. 

The biggest chance will be if the 1300 player is a sand begger and the 2700 player just stopped playing turnaments for 10 years,than there might be a big chance there

iddo111 wrote:

The biggest chance will be if the 1300 player is a sand begger and the 2700 player just stopped playing turnaments for 10 years,than there might be a big chance there

I'm not even sure then.  Didn't Kasparov say Fischer was playing around 2500-2600 range when he returned to face Spassky again?  Wasn't that around 20 years after Fischer stopped?  He was the first 2700+ player, so a 10 year gap wasn't enough to drop him past the 2000 mark.

ClavierCavalier,I said "the 1300 could be a sand begger" a sand begger is someone is someone who loses on purpes to get to a lower rating,then to win in low rated turnaments and get the money.So the sand begger might of droped from 2800 to 1300 on purpes to win money,so that I said "maybe the 2700 didn't play in turnaments in 10 years" isn't really importent,It's just like the chance that a 2800 will win a 2700.

The first diagram demonstrates how a 1300 player handles an advantage against a 1900.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2013/04/blunders.html

Of course, he would be more relaxed and play better moves after a blunder by a member of the WORLD TOP FIFTY.

Oh, I guess that evens the odds.  Actually,a sand begger could be one who should challenge Carlsen but their actual rating is 657.  This gives some better odds for the 1300's!

Timothy_P wrote:

Please, please let this thread die.

I've prayed, I've cajoled, I've even written a letter to my congressman...nothing seems to work.

AndyClifton yazmış:
    Timothy_P wrote:

Please, please let this thread die.

I've prayed, I've cajoled, I've even written a letter to my congressman...nothing seems to work.

I remember the times that this topic had just started and I was thinking like, yeah interesting topic but there's not much to say other than some statistics and "if the GM gets poisoned" jokes. Seems that I was wrong.

This thread refuses to die... but we can actually test it... ask Fabiano Caruana 2754 (who is chess.com member) for a 15|0 match...

On a more serious note did you see how Fab destroyed one of the CMs on this site in a 10min blitz, it was like playing with a child. It looked like my uncle playing with his 5yr old nephew. He read whites strategy from a mile away and dismantled him with amazing ease. And thats a 1900 rated blitz player BTW, imagine a 1300 rated player?!!

Anyway it goes to tell you how much more skilled a GM is. As Kasparov once said "when a GM looks at a position he sees his old girlfriend, an average player sees the nose hairs"

It has happend but it is so rare. Just see the fishing pole trap (though that was a simul

oegiwoegi wrote:

after 10 beers maybe

Aha, the old alcohol handicap! One beer before the game for every 100 points rating difference perhaps?

CabassoG wrote:

It has happend but it is so rare. Just see the fishing pole trap (though that was a simul

When has it happened? Who was the 2700+ player who lost, and do you have the moves?

or Join

Online Now