Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
Dude_3
HighNoon52 wrote:

What about two 1300 players - combined they would be the equivalent of a 2600 player - definitely a reasonable match for a 2700

not exactly

Thats like saying 2 normal 6th graders together are as smart as a 12th grader

Conflagration_Planet
HighNoon52 wrote:

What about two 1300 players - combined they would be the equivalent of a 2600 player - definitely a reasonable match for a 2700

That HAS to a joke.

RetiFan
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
HighNoon52 wrote:

That HAS to a joke.

No, it was the beginning of an insidious plan to merge ten 1300 rated players into one ultimate chess machine.

Conflagration_Planet
RetiFan wrote:
HighNoon52 wrote:

That HAS to a joke.

No, it was the beginning of an insidious plan to merge ten 1300 rated players into one ultimate chess machine.

Great idea. Down right brilliant! There'll be a Nobel Prize in chess given for this.

HighNoon52
RetiFan wrote:
HighNoon52 wrote:

That HAS to a joke.

Come on man, I told you about my insidious plan in confidence!  How dare you tell everyone my secret!

It was going to look something like this, but without the eye patch . . .

RetiFan
PoPPy-PoPPeT wrote:

[mod: no spam please]

Join Join Join !!!

Hey, quit advertising please, it's not nice.

RetiFan
HighNoon52 wrote:
RetiFan wrote:
HighNoon52 wrote:

That HAS to a joke.

Come on man, I told you about my insidious plan in confidence!  How dare you tell everyone my secret!

It was going to look something like this, but without the eye patch . . .

lol Laughing

Conflagration_Planet

Don't forget the sword.

Scottrf

Masters aren't that strong.

http://www.chess.com/games/results?f=7179439

Especially http://www.chess.com/games/view?id=343387

netzach

:) Was inspiration that game.

A colleague in Scotland-Team remembered the lesson:

http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=44141176

Rasparovov

I say if the 1300 just divorced, had no sleep, was sick, unconcentrated because someone kept throwing sand at him, blindfolded and played a game of cards at the same time. The 2700 might just stand a chance of winning.
Or the 1300 would just lose equally bad. 

Dude_3
Scottrf wrote:

lol

saminslc

A friend told me that the ratings are set up so a 1000 player has a 1 in 10 chance of winning an 1100 player. So if this is correct a 1300 player would have a 1 in 100,000,000,000,000 chance. 1 in one hundred trillion. So your saying there is a chance! Also take into consideration that in playing that many games, which is not possible, your score would improve for sure.

Scottrf

What about the other 5 games?

Conflagration_Planet
Rasparovov wrote:

I say if the 1300 just divorced, had no sleep, was sick, unconcentrated because someone kept throwing sand at him, blindfolded and played a game of cards at the same time. The 2700 might just stand a chance of winning.
Or the 1300 would just lose equally bad. 

You've got the ratings reversed.

Elubas

I think he was being ironic.

Expertise87

I once played a player rated 1400 in a USCF-rated tournament game, blundered my Queen, ended up with King and three pawns vs King, Queen, and Bishop, and he offered me a draw when he had a forced checkmate available.

My biggest upset is beating a 2200 when I was rated 1280 or so (900+ points) in a rated tournament game.

Dude_3
saminslc wrote:

A friend told me that the ratings are set up so a 1000 player has a 1 in 10 chance of winning an 1100 player. So if this is correct a 1300 player would have a 1 in 100,000,000,000,000 chance. 1 in one hundred trillion. So your saying there is a chance! Also take into consideration that in playing that many games, which is not possible, your score would improve for sure.

your friend was mistaken

dezsoracz

Well, I Think that we have pritty much covered this topic.

kco
Estragon wrote:
thehedgehog2000 wrote:

1 in 10? When I was 1600 I beat a guy who was 2200 and drew a 2100 in the same tournament.

A great achievement, but there's a 600 point and 500 point spread.  The OP asks about a 1400 point spread.  As x approaches zero and all that . . .

Hey wait ! It did happen ...right here.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/fun-with-chess/another-shocker-at-the-world-series-of-chess