Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
AIM-AceMove

There are some 1300-1400 rated players with 20 years of experience or more. Playing online or at club level. For so many years and chess games surely they have scored wins against masters. They are simply non consistent and obviously have holes in their game, but have seen thousands of patterns, endgames and openings. By now they definetely know their opening witg GM accuracy and deep enough memorization. Also probably know very well some endgame theory. At some areas 1300~ rated players are playing like 1700 on other regions , a.ka underrated. Take for example Greece. Many.. Many.. 1300 who will destroy easily 1600-1700 from other countries- i know that because i have seen it. Greece has most underrated players in europe probably along with Norway etc.

Now take a 1300 underrated rated player who happens to hit all time low, have many years of experience and plays the game of his life against GM who is very loose, plays a bad line with black because he undersimate his challenger, also that GM is having a baad day and plays worst game of years and blunders a piece or something..  All that put togheter and there you go. it's extremely unlikey, but if i 1700-1800 fide patzer can beat 2550 GM on online blitz and not just once.. then everything is possible.

ejkilroy

1300s are obviously not GMs at openings. Just because you have seen thousands of openings means you understand any of it. 

DjonniDerevnja
NoobInTheNorth wrote:

1300s are obviously not GMs at openings. Just because you have seen thousands of openings means you understand any of it. 

Thats right, we dont understand the openings, bu when looking at capsscore , analyzing in very many games the first 10-15 moves are good, and after that the score usually falls. Today I played the opening perfect in this blitzgame (but failed in many other games). https://www.chess.com/live/game/2268398565. My understanding about 4 0-0, 5d4 italian is that its about as fast development as possible and a fast attack. I guess GMs does agree with that, but in addition has tons of other ideas that I dont have the slightest idea of about this opening. I think the opening is sharp and often backfires if my opponent is able to throw a lot of power on my kingside.

zfarooque

bk.pngh

spadeknight

check carlsens games.  He has lost to a 1300ish player before.   If a gm trys to screw around and play goofy chess to MESS with a low rated player they can bet burned.  ive seen it happen a few times before.

ProfessorPownall

I live in a small town and there are a half dozen 2700's that play down at the Barber Shop. They wont play with us 1300's. I don't know about the big cities, maybe the 2700's aren't so snobbish. I think it all came to be this way because one time little Bobby slipped a mickey in Boris's morning coffee and convinced Boris to play a game. Boris became so intoxicated that he knocked over the table scattering all the pieces to the floor. To this day Bobby claims he was winning, that he could beat a 2700, but most of us know better.

progress91

corse he can but not often

DjonniDerevnja
BobbyTalparov wrote:
spadeknight wrote:

check carlsens games.  He has lost to a 1300ish player before.   If a gm trys to screw around and play goofy chess to MESS with a low rated player they can bet burned.  ive seen it happen a few times before.

Carlsen has not lost a serious game to someone rated below 2500 in over a decade.

Carlsen seldom loses. Its more likely that GM Baduur Jobava loses to underrated players, because Jobava has a very creative and virtuous style, and that does cost him some points some days.

lfPatriotGames
ProfessorPownall wrote:

I live in a small town and there are a half dozen 2700's that play down at the Barber Shop. They wont play with us 1300's. I don't know about the big cities, maybe the 2700's aren't so snobbish.

That's amazing. It seems like there are about 45 players on the planet who are rated 2700 or above, and to not only have 6 of them in the same country, but 6 of them in the same small town is incredible. Most big cities have anywhere from zero to one such chess players. You are very fortunate.

ProfessorPownall

They are all Russian and drinks cases of vodka. As for the fortunate part, as I said they won't play us 1300 mortals ever since little Bobby pulled that stunt I spoke of. 

universityofpawns
lfPatriotGames wrote:
ProfessorPownall wrote:

I live in a small town and there are a half dozen 2700's that play down at the Barber Shop. They wont play with us 1300's. I don't know about the big cities, maybe the 2700's aren't so snobbish.

That's amazing. It seems like there are about 45 players on the planet who are rated 2700 or above, and to not only have 6 of them in the same country, but 6 of them in the same small town is incredible. Most big cities have anywhere from zero to one such chess players. You are very fortunate.

What makes it even more incredible is that there are currently only thirteen 2700+ GMs in the entire country of Russia currently and only two in France......fact check....

http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?country=RUS

https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=FRA

Marveldenz1980

it is also possible to beat 2700 if the 1300 player is gifted.....

TheAuthority

Gifted a victory? 

varelse1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5l4S3-ClbQ

TheAuthority

Well a 1400 online is not a 1300 and had probably sandbagged at that. Nice vid though golum. 

garettj25

its easy to start making automatic, unthinking moves once an overwhelming advantage is secured. then theres that Checkmate!

garettj25

hou yifan will where that special perfume she knows i like and then i just cant concentrate...

DjonniDerevnja
chessking1976 wrote:

Well a 1400 online is not a 1300 and had probably sandbagged at that. Nice vid though golum. 

I have been at ca 1400 blitz chess.com and Fide 1388 at the same time. Now I am at 1328 chess.com blitz and 1388 Fide long chess. I feel that 1388 Fide is a bit sandbaggish, but it was not deliberately sandbagging . In my last tournament I blundered terribly many times, because my daughter gave me a grandson and that kicked me mentally far out. If something like that happens to a GM , the birth of a child, it can change his mental state to another level, loosing contact with the chessboard.

This 1400 beats GM Dlugy game was blitz and it was a trap, and also a brilliant finish. Both 1400s and 1300s can learn traps (brilliant finish in blitz from a 1300 is not to be expected, but it happens from time to time). This one was very good because it isn't well known. I can play a trap too, but it will not work on masters, because it is too well known.

ejkilroy

@DjonniDerevnja not to mention Max Dlugy is 2500 fide and not 2700

rjohn11

wisk u knew