Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
Tmb86

interesting, yes. hmmm. a real thinker.

abdulmajidsayem1
PIRATCH wrote:
abdulmajidsayem1 wrote:

have patience buddy a player who is 2700 right now... was 1300 at some point of time..........keep playing keep enjoying

Not necessary! This 2700 player could as well be first rated at 1800. It depends on the rating rules of that country!

On a FIDE rated tournament with a performance you could easily be rated far above 2000 ELO!

buddy i see ua point but i was trying to boost his confidenceLaughing

SmyslovFan

The discussion was not about someone who is underrated. The question was about someone with an established 1300 OTB rating beating a 2700.

1300 is slightly above average for a high school chess player.

2700 is world class for a chess player.

Is there any chance an average high school football team could beat an NFL team?

Is there any chance an average high school soccer team could beat a Champions League group winner?

Do you want to continue calculating the odds on "never gonna happen"?

tieics

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

RetiFan
tieics yazmış:

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

If you look at the statistics of many players, their best wins will surely be against 300 higher rated players, so your argument is flawed.

SmyslovFan

Statistically, the higher rated player should score 8.5/10 against someone rated 300 points lower.

15% is hardly "0 winning chance".

tieics

I don't know from  where you got your data, but I am sure not from tournament results (the fact is 7+ 2= 1- out of 10)

SmyslovFan

I got the statistics from the FIDE website, which has a link to the Elo probability table:

http://www.chesselo.com/probabil.html

Ubik42
Tmb86 wrote:

hmm yes good point, can't believe no-one else has made that point in 1000 posts. Incredible.

I feel sorry for anyone reading 1000 posts in this thread. I read the first page and a couple of the last pages. I don't feel much smarter.

Ubik42
tieics wrote:

I f you want to troll, you are doing it RONG. You should start a thread with the title

"if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance."

Genius! I predict 1000 flame posts, and you wont even have to respond.

scheppy

totally possibly, if the 2700 had a connection interupted thing, which happens about 5 times per day for me

SmyslovFan
scheppy wrote:

totally possibly, if the 2700 had a connection interupted thing, which happens about 5 times per day for me

True, Scheppy. If they were talking about online chess. But they were talking about an official, rated OTB game between two adults with established ratings.

scheppy

your right

chessgoliath

Yes there is if 2700 player blundered his queen, if he blundered a bishop or knight maybe not.

Elubas
Tmb86 wrote:

hmm yes good point, can't believe no-one else has made that point in 1000 posts. Incredible.

Is this sarcastic? The point had been made, although I admit the poster above you did so rather eloquently.

Elubas

"Is there any chance an average high school football team could beat an NFL team?

Is there any chance an average high school soccer team could beat a Champions League group winner?"

Well, first of all it's easier to blunder the magnitude of a mate in 1 in chess than it is in football or soccer (what would be the equivalent, really? You can allow a free touchdown, but that's no mate in 1 blunder).

But even if we were going with this, I'm not sure we can really know that there is a zero chance of either of the things you mentioned happening, either. Again, intuitively it may seem it must be impossible, but if one were to have billions of tries, maybe a very rare, unlikely occurrence might occur.

jbskaggs

Maybe an unseen ministroke midgame that ruins the master's ability to process the board patterns.

SmyslovFan

Yes, jbskaggs.

I think it's more likely that the +2700 player has a stroke and either dies or is unable to finish the game than for the game to be lost. At least GMs have been known to die at a chess board. +2700s have not been known to lose to 1300s.

Are the odds greater than 0? Yes.

Are they so insignificant that the odds may as well be 0?  Yes.

ponz111

If the game is part of a simul the odds greatly increase.  If the game is part of a simul with at least 100 players the odds greatly increase.

If it just happens that a 2700 is paired with a 1300 say in the 3rd round of a rated tournament then my guess would be the 1300 rated player would have more than 1/2 of one percent chance.

Ubik42

Last month Chess Life featured a game where a 1000 rated player defeats a 2000 rated player.

Certainly giving hope to the 1700's out there. And since 1300 defeating a 1700 happens quite regularly, then by the law of symetry we can say a 1300 can defeat a 2700.

Q.E.D.

(Feel free to refer to this as "Ubik's Axiom" It really requires no evidence, nor a proof, since this is in the form of a self-evident axiomatic Euclidean truth. However, you can of course deduce further conclusions from this law, which I leave as a excercise to the student.)