Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
kiwi-inactive

Theres always the possibility. No matter how unlikely lol 

falgocharm

In a game with 1300 and 2700 rated player

50% both players win.

50% GM Wins x2.

(ignore stalemates and draw)

Ziryab
SmyslovFan wrote:

Are the odds greater than 0? Yes.

Are they so insignificant that the odds may as well be 0?  Yes.

The clearest and simplest answer to the original question.

RetiFan
Ubik42 yazmış:

Last month Chess Life featured a game where a 1000 rated player defeats a 2000 rated player.

Certainly giving hope to the 1700's out there. And since 1300 defeating a 1700 happens quite regularly, then by the law of symetry we can say a 1300 can defeat a 2700.

Q.E.D.

(Feel free to refer to this as "Ubik's Axiom" It really requires no evidence, nor a proof, since this is in the form of a self-evident axiomatic Euclidean truth. However, you can of course deduce further conclusions from this law, which I leave as a excercise to the student.)

If we accept the axiom above, the general conclusion of the topic would be flawed as well.

Rasparovov
tieics wrote:

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

I won against a guy rated 509 points ahead of me. With black. After 23 moves.

Grandmaster3141
Ziryab wrote:
SmyslovFan wrote:

Are the odds greater than 0? Yes.

Are they so insignificant that the odds may as well be 0?  Yes.

The clearest and simplest answer to the original question.

Actually, no, unless the odds are 1/infinity. I can handle 1*10^(-23).

jim995
Rasparovov wrote:
tieics wrote:

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

There have been upsets of1000 or so points rating difference (my personal record is 600-700). However, as previously stated, once you get to a 1400 point difference with a game between a master and an amateur the chances are insignificant.

(btw, 1/infinity is 0 as a limit, 'cause infinity's not actually a number)

jim995
Rasparovov wrote:
tieics wrote:

There have been upsets of1000 or so points rating difference (my personal record is 600-700). However, as previously stated, once you get to a 1400 point difference with a game between a master and an amateur the chances are insignificant.

Mandy711

If the 2700 opponent is Ivanchuk, there may be a chance. That guy is unpredictable.

Ziryab
Mandy711 wrote:

If the 2700 opponent is Ivanchuk, there may be a chance. That guy is unpredictable.

I said the same thing dozens of pages ago. We know the names of every 2700+ player (currently less than 50 players), and only Ivanchuk is sloppy among that group. He also is the one who has the best chance of taking Carlsen down a notch.

livluvrok

There's always a chance...

RetiFan
livluvrok yazmış:

There's always a chance...

After all those negative comments?! Always...

Rasparovov
jim995 wrote:
Rasparovov wrote:
tieics wrote:

I know that I just stated that it's not pointless to play someone 300 points higher.

Ziryab

I played a four game match (game 4 went unplayed) against an opponent 500 points higher (1738 to 2257) He is a FIDE Master whose rating has been dropping slowly from his peak slightly over 2400. I closed half of the rating gap with 40 hours of preparation made possible by my opponent's narrow opening repertoire. He simply showed up and played. My draw in the third game was hard-earned. Special pleading on the part of the tournament director was needed to get the event (our city championship) rated by the USCF.

The score of 2 1/2 - 1/2 was considered a great victory by the losing player.

Now, let's go back to considering how our 1300 patzer will secure a win against one of the top 50 players in the world.

chessdragon64

you never now if that happens no matter if it was like a .1 to 99.9ect. mabye.

alain978

Yeah, a player rated 1300 can beat easily à 2700 rated player................ in poker!!! LOL

Ziryab

verse is poetry

won is past tense of win, but we don't win people playing chess

et cetera is abbreviated etc (&c if you are living in the nineteenth century)

ellipses are three dots ...

ClavierCavalier

We don't won people, either.

It always bothers me when people say "And et cetera."  Like ATM Machine.

madhacker
Mandy711 wrote:

Ivanchuk is sloppy enough to possibly lose to a 2000 once in a blue moon if he did something incredibly daft. But not to a 1300. He could drop a piece and still win against a 1300.

SmyslovFan

All the threads that get closed around here for no apparent reason, and this one is still alive and well?