Forums

Isn't Giri overrated?

Sort:
Krestez
markgravitygood wrote:

Right, what do you know.

You are what your OTB rating says you are. Where it falls on the list is a function of both your abilities and those around you.

To complain about that is juvenile, at best, and misses the point.

A valid complaint could be logged against Adams or Pono, however.

What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player! I didn't watch too many of Adams' games but of what I've heard he's a legend in UK chess. He's also been at the top for many years.

And it is juvenile if I complain about Giri, but for Adams and Ponomariov it doesn't apply? Your logic, it hurts.

Ziryab
RatDogFriday wrote:
Krestez wrote:

What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player!

I'm not going to debate the good or the bad, but to your point:

Michael Adams was never World Champion.

Pono won in 2002 in a KNOCKOUT tournament without Kramnik or Kasparov participating.

It is important to use the term FIDE World Champion to distinguish certain claimants from the line of legitimate Chess World Champions from Steinitz to Anand.

Krestez
RatDogFriday wrote:
Krestez wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

Right, what do you know.

You are what your OTB rating says you are. Where it falls on the list is a function of both your abilities and those around you.

To complain about that is juvenile, at best, and misses the point.

A valid complaint could be logged against Adams or Pono, however.

What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player! I didn't watch too many of Adams' games but of what I've heard he's a legend in UK chess. He's also been at the top for many years.

And it is juvenile if I complain about Giri, but for Adams and Ponomariov it doesn't apply? Your logic, it hurts.

I'm not going to debate the good or the bad, but to your point:

Michael Adams was never World Champion.

Pono won in 2002 in a KNOCKOUT tournament without Kramnik or Kasparov participating.

I would make a better case with regard to your slashing the top 20 against both of those players as opposed to Anish.

Of course, that's opinion too, but you did ask, so there is that.

I think you will find Giri will progress up that list over the next couple of years, while Adams and Pono will decline. I have no doubt.

Again, your logic hurts against Giri - you are what you are when it comes to real OTB ratings. If you are in the top 20, you probably deserve it, even if you dislike the player.

Why would I dislike him? I judged him objectively. In fact, he looks like a nice guy, unlike Nakamura for example, who is very arrogant. And of course Ponomariov (who beat Ivanchuk to win the World Championship, and that guy was a beast 10 years ago) and Adams are starting to decline. Ponomariov is 30 and Adams is 40+!, while Giri is not even 20. There's no comparison. I find Ponomariov's chess much more efficient. Giri blunders too much for an elite player.

TetsuoShima

I dont think Nakamura is really arrogant. I mean he is nit very outgoing so its really hard to judge him as a person, not that u can judge anyone. Its just hard to get an impression.

But i Never thought he was arrogant to be honest.

He speaks normally

chesshole
Krestez wrote:
chessmaster102 wrote:
Krestez wrote:
chessmaster102 wrote:

who ever talks about him like he is overated.

Please speak english.

no one really speaks of him highly anyway so hes never been considered overated.

Oh, sorry. I don't know why but when I read it the first time I thought you meant something else :))

no, you were right the first time.  he should have used a question mark instead of a period :))

fabelhaft

One of the stronger tournaments Giri has won, Reggio Emilia January 2012: