Forums

Kasparov vs Topalov

Sort:
master0062

He couldve gotten a queen!

Also, this is known as Kasparov's Immortal Game.

Amazing.

master0062

So?

ADK

This is Garry Kasparov's Immortal Game. Veselin Topalov resigned because White has much more material than Black does. 

ADK

master0062

o

gabrielconroy

That game just defies belief. The way Kasparov offers up two rooks (obviously the second is off-limits, but still) for compensation that is hard to see for sure even when the game's been played out is just astounding.

master0062

I know.

laobeijing94

Amazing! Rd4!!

CerebralAssassin

amazing!!Cool

farshidipakchi

r*D4 amazing

atomichicken

I haven't studied that many games but this is my favourite.

MLorge

Can someone clue me into why on 25. kb6 he doesn't just take the rook that has him in check?  it seems like that rook gets offered up a few times but isn't taken til the end...  And he resigns cuz Kasparov has a queen and one less pawn?  I don't get it.  I'm new; educate me with what I'm missing.

Arctor
MLorge wrote:

Can someone clue me into why on 25. kb6 he doesn't just take the rook that has him in check?  it seems like that rook gets offered up a few times but isn't taken til the end...  And he resigns cuz Kasparov has a queen and one less pawn?  I don't get it.  I'm new; educate me with what I'm missing.

If 25...Qxe7 then 26.Qxd4+ Kb8 27.Qb6+ Kb7 28.Nc6#

As for the final position, what do you suggest Topalov's next move should be?

MLorge

27. Qb6+ Kb7 won't work cuz still in check...  I see why not now, though, but i think it'd play out 27. Qb6 Bb7 28. Nc6+ Ka8 29. Qa7#

I also just played out a bunch of alternatives and can't find a way to get the stalemate I thought he'd be able to get...  Very interesting.  Why not play it out anyway and take your lumps instead of resigning?  I guess there is more respect in resigning cuz you know enough to know that there is no possible outcome except a loss.  But why not make the other guy play it out; he could make a blunder...  Like calling a defensive time-out in football with clock running down.  Make em take the extra snaps, they might fumble...

AndyClifton

Part of acknowledging a fine performance by your opponent is bowing out gracefully; prolonging the game only reflects badly on yourself.

AndyClifton
ADK wrote:

This is Garry Kasparov's Immortal Game. 

Like he only had one...LOL

AndyClifton
OmarCayenne wrote:

Yeah, that's probably the most incredible game ever played.

Funny thing is, I was just getting ready to say that...

James_Bond_Fan

this game was pure luck. Not immortal. Topalov could've declined the rook sac and force a draw instead. What followed was just an intuitively played combination carried out by means of great luck.

bresando

The fact that the opponent could have equalized at a certain point doesn't make the game less immortal. You can't win if your opponent plays perfectly.

Arctor
bresando wrote:

The fact that the opponent could have equalized at a certain point doesn't make the game less immortal. You can't win if your opponent plays perfectly.

Don't try to reason with these people.

AndyClifton
James_Bond_Fan wrote:

this game was pure luck. Not immortal. Topalov could've declined the rook sac and force a draw instead. What followed was just an intuitively played combination carried out by means of great luck.

LOL