Forums

kicked for swearing... Really?

Sort:
kayak21
Jubaltroop wrote:

Playing a game some time ago, I made a dumb move, (not unusual). I typed in chat "cock up". bam ...gone......kicked. Now the expression "cock up" is slang for stupid mistake. It's used by politicians, TV announcers, even the royal family have been heard to use it in public, notably, Princess Ann. There seems to be some very puritanical, sheltered people who make the rules on here. 

I agree that it's used all the time in the UK, newspaper headlines, tv news etc. Nobody takes any notice of it. Obviously has a stronger meaning in the USA.

MEXIMARTINI

Martin_Stahl
kayak21 wrote:
Jubaltroop wrote:

... There seems to be some very puritanical, sheltered people who make the rules on here. 

I agree that it's used all the time in the UK, newspaper headlines, tv news etc. Nobody takes any notice of it. Obviously has a stronger meaning in the USA.

It isn't necessarily that. The chat filter isn't context aware and only looks at single words. One of those is a word for a part of the male anatomy and gets flagged. I would guess at least 90% of the people using it in chat are not using that phrasing.

Martin_Stahl

Guess I should have read the previous page before posting .... basically said the same thing david did meh.png

cavetiger
Cunt
MEXIMARTINI
Martin_Stahl wrote:

Guess I should have read the previous page before posting .... basically said the same thing david did

lol....I posted this gif one post too early.  hahahahahaha

Ashvapathi

Why not simply block that particular word or the relevant text? I noticed that some people game this auto-filter as they know that only english and certain kinds of words are noticed by auto-filter.

Martin_Stahl

If you notice people gaming the filter, you can always report it. A lot of non-english words are in the filter as are variations that try to get around it. Of course, there are too many permutations to get all instances.

Pulpofeira

I could help staff to add every Spanish foul word I know to the filter, but it probably would make the whole site to crash.

kayak21
Martin_Stahl wrote:
kayak21 wrote:
Jubaltroop wrote:

... There seems to be some very puritanical, sheltered people who make the rules on here. 

It isn't necessarily that. The chat filter isn't context aware and only looks at single words. One of those is a word for a part of the male anatomy and gets flagged. I would guess at least 90% of the people using it in chat are not using that phrasing.

Surprised Which one?

Pulpofeira

Could be the bald spot.

RonaldJosephCote

"The chat filter isn't context aware and only looks at single words". Undecided I had a girlfriend like that once.Embarassed

kayak21
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

"The chat filter isn't context aware and only looks at single words".  I had a girlfriend like that once.

What.....with a bald spot?

BlargDragon
MEXIMARTINI wrote:

VIVA AMURRICA

A hero fallen in the pursuit of the Carbonated Dream. Neither their devotion nor their bravery will soon be forgotten.

Pulpofeira

I bet the ambulance staff never will forget him.

BlargDragon

I wonder if they rented the engine hoist or just bought one outright.