Forums

Knocking your King down when resigning

Sort:
Scottrf
joeydvivre wrote:

Scary that a few people think throwing burning gasoline in someone's face is funny.  Over a chess game.  So did you guys think the whole napalm thing in Vietnam was a hoot?

He doesn't actually do that Yell

DKof

@joeydvivre - I don't think the napalm would be as effective since I don't see it coming out of the coffee mug as easily and cleanly.  Plus, there is more chance of residue for the forensics to pick up.  Just a thought.

DKof

I'm going to have to call you guys (joey, snakes) on your use of the word "hoot".  Since I was the first to use it in this thread (I believe),  obviously its reuse is strictly forbidden (which includes quoting it as well snakes).  Please follow protocol and replace "hoot" with "flying @#$%" at every occurrence.

Your cooperation would be appreciated, but, is not expected.

edit - By the way, don't think you've gone unnoticed scottrf, ditto.

DKof

Thanks Snakes!  I hate to have to be such a killjoy (or whoever), but, a little decorum goes a long way.

DKof

Who wants to go first on this one?  My thoughts were either "Stop, your killin me dude" or just the simple "Harsh."

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

You are all missing the point ! !  It is rude to slam your opponent's king down.  If we do our on king, we are just mad at ourselves, which should be understandable considering most people have no idea what sportmanslike conduct is to begin with.  But the king falls down when he is dead, no?  Yes. I still don't do it. 

champ_weller

it isnt rude to knock down your king at all really i get satisfaction out of the fact that  my opponent knocked his/her king down so therefore he isnt being rude to me

champ_weller

well wrestlers are pretty awesome arent they ;)

DKof

Tipping a refrigerator over a railing is bush league.  You actually demonstrate some talent when you push it out a window, in my experience. Never have done it while "occupied" though. Could be tricky.

tennisbuck

I think that it defidently depends on the attitude. I think that if done politely, it is a nice tradition of chess. When done with abuse toward the chess pieces, I think it is disrespectful.

tennisbuck

I think that it defidently depends on the attitude. I think that if done politely, it is a nice tradition of chess. When done with abuse toward the chess pieces, I think it is disrespectful.

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

If my opponent slams his king down, I did a great job beating him and he can't stand it.  Gawd, I love it !  Do it again, tell me how much better I am than you.  See why I don't do it?

GoddessKirino

Whenever i play at tourneys or even friendly matches,i just stop the clock.i find everything else overdramatic and uncalled for.

Jion_Wansu
TeraHammer wrote:

How many people do this? When resigning, knocking your king down?

I think it is quite rude if this is done rougly, and disrespectful for the pieces and the game of chess.

But the thing is, I have yet to meet someone who puts his King down respectfully.

What are your thoughts on this?

There was a video where Irina Krush hit her king and it went across the board and she stormed off when losing to Anna Zatonskih...

cnj513

Sheesh... and people wonder why I don't play humans.

Some people can't handle defeat. I don't want to know if I'm one of them!

ToTiTrTy

My say on this? It is your own personal choice whether to resign or not. Don't let other people tell you how to behave. You don't need those kind of people in your life, unless they are doing it to protect you. Otherwise, they are just being whiny liberal babies who attack people for attention. 

My point is, you get to choose when and whether to resign, because one choice is not clearly advantageous to the other. Just know that if you choose not to resign, then you may build a bad reputation, but it doesn't mean it is bad. Anyway, playing bad positions might be good practice and it is probably good to be used to playing bad positions. On the other hand, if you resign when it is horrible, it gives you a little bit more time to prepare or study before your next OTB game, which can be nice if you aren't traumatized by your last loss.

Chess is the second most stressful sport behind skydiving I believe.

ToTiTrTy

I think it is whiny and ironically annoying to be annoyed by what your opponent does over the board. Let them be weird, don't try to tell people what ethics they should believe in. I might actually start knocking all of my pieces with my bare hands lol. How about you whiny crybabies try to join a human centipede?

Seriously? To be annoyed or call it uncalled for, if your opponent drops his king on the board?

I'm only trying to protect the personal chess players, you know. They didn't attack anybody!

genacgenac

Knocking over king is as legal as it is dooshy.

genacgenac
Clipse83 wrote:

i play on a glass set, not smart to knock glass over

What if you're playing with plutonium pieces?  Is there any problem resigning by shoving the king down your opponent's throat?

genacgenac
DKof wrote:

Tipping a refrigerator over a railing is bush league.  You actually demonstrate some talent when you push it out a window, in my experience. Never have done it while "occupied" though. Could be tricky.

So easy -- try harder.