Forums

Kramnik is stronger then magnus

Sort:
Radical_Drift
SmyslovFan wrote:

There are certain types of positions that Kramnik plays better than Carlsen, and Kramnik's opening preparation is still the best in the world. But yeah, Carlsen is the better player. Still, I would love to see a match between those two. I think Kramnik has the best chance of anyone to beat Carlsen in a match.

I find this very interesting. What positions does Kramnik play better than Magnus? How might you classify such positions? I, being the patzer that I am, don't know how to make such distinctions, but I'm always ready to learn!

fabelhaft
DavidChCh wrote:
chessman1504 wrote:
SmyslovFan wrote:

There are certain types of positions that Kramnik plays better than Carlsen, and Kramnik's opening preparation is still the best in the world. But yeah, Carlsen is the better player. Still, I would love to see a match between those two. I think Kramnik has the best chance of anyone to beat Carlsen in a match.

I find this very interesting. What positions does Kramnik play better than Magnus? How might you classify such positions? I, being the patzer that I am, don't know how to make such distinctions, but I'm always ready to learn!

Personally I think this is overemphasised. Carlsen and Kramnik are both very good in simplified technical positions but Carlsen is just the better player. I will concede however, that Kramnik is more likely to emerge from the opening with a slight edge as white when compared to Carlsen.

Yes, I don't think there are any positions Kramnik plays better than Carlsen, apart from the starting position. Kramnik's opening preparation is clearly better, but if not for that the difference between the two might be bigger than the 100 Elo points it is today. I think this irks Kramnik though, since in almost every interview with him I've read the last years he tries to explain why Carlsen probably isn't actually better than him (i.e. Carlsen is #1 because of non chess related reasons, Kramnik doesn't really want to be #1, he is an artist that doesn't care as much about results as Carlsen, he plays with a handicap since he has a family, he can't see any reason why Carlsen should be better at all than himself, etc). But I think the truth is that Carlsen just is the stronger player of the two in all parts of the game apart from the opening preparation.

Apotek
[COMMENT DELETED]
nameno1had
fabelhaft wrote:
DavidChCh wrote:
chessman1504 wrote:
SmyslovFan wrote:

Personally I think this is overemphasised. Carlsen and Kramnik are both very good in simplified technical positions but Carlsen is just the better player. I will concede however, that Kramnik is more likely to emerge from the opening with a slight edge as white when compared to Carlsen.

Yes, I don't think there are any positions Kramnik plays better than Carlsen, apart from the starting position. Kramnik's opening preparation is clearly better, but if not for that the difference between the two might be bigger than the 100 Elo points it is today. I think this irks Kramnik though, since in almost every interview with him I've read the last years he tries to explain why Carlsen probably isn't actually better than him (i.e. Carlsen is #1 because of non chess related reasons, Kramnik doesn't really want to be #1, he is an artist that doesn't care as much about results as Carlsen, he plays with a handicap since he has a family, he can't see any reason why Carlsen should be better at all than himself, etc). But I think the truth is that Carlsen just is the stronger player of the two in all parts of the game apart from the opening preparation.

I chalk up Kramnik's superiority in the opening prep area, more to experience and knowing his own preferences better. I think that Magnus' more experimental style is what clearly sets him apart. It is the fact that in no man's land, when he shows himself superior, that he really shows how skilled he is overall. Other than being immitated in the future, Magnus' eventual concrete choices, through experience, will set him apart from all of his predecessors even more so.

varelse1

Is funny when people typo in the thread title.