Forums

Looking for a guest speaker SE ohio

Sort:
Whis

Hello,

I have been conducting a beginner chess class for about a dozen local homeschooled children, and am interested in bringing in an expert or stronger player to do a presentation of a master game or some tactical puzzles who can do so with energy and engagement.  Is there anyone who might be willing to do something like this or conduct a simul with the kids?

Thanks

EricFleet

You might consider contacting chess clubs in your area. I am not sure exactly where you live, but SE Ohio isn't the most happening area for clubs unforunately :(  How far away from Canton are you? They have a strong scholastic chess league and I know a couple people who might be able to help...

Alternatively, you might consider something online.

Whis

We have a local club, of which I am a member, but it is a fairly rural area, but I thought there might be someone in the Athens/Cambridge area who might be willing to make a trip down, etc.  I'm slowly working toward eventually helping to build up the scholastic scene down in these parts, we have a lot of interest from the kids, but nothing in the schools, so this class is a sort of trial run to eventually work toward that.

EricFleet
Whis wrote:

We have a local club, of which I am a member, but it is a fairly rural area, but I thought there might be someone in the Athens/Cambridge area who might be willing to make a trip down, etc.  I'm slowly working toward eventually helping to build up the scholastic scene down in these parts, we have a lot of interest from the kids, but nothing in the schools, so this class is a sort of trial run to eventually work toward that.

I certainly respect what you are trying to do and wish you all the best. Wish I could be of more help.

You might want to contact the Ohio Chess Association and USCF to get your club added to their web page. It might help get some more members

Whis

Thanks for the reply Mr Fleet, much appreciated :)