Forums

Magnus Carlsen - should be World Champion

Sort:
Gokukid

Alright let's face it. Nowadays people are much more interested in Magnus Carlsen than world champion Viswanathan Anand and Veselin Topalov. Magnus, at present, 19 years old, will be the highest rated player come this January 2010 FIDE list. Yes, the only teenager in history to not only break the 2800 mark but also become the highest rated player - Magnus Carlsen is already possessing the aura of a World Champion. And by goodness, this young talent is now being coached by Garry Kasparov.

And whoever wins in the Anand-Topalov match for the WCC, personally I am rooting for Anand. And even if Anand retains the title, I'd still be following Magnus Carlsen - perhaps because I'm seeing Garry Kasparov in him, whom I followed before. Mikhail Botvinnik coached Kasparov, Kasparov coaching Carlsen, so we see the passing of the torch. Magnus Carlsen will become the embodiment of a Chess Champion who truly dominates the rest of the field, just like Paul Morphy, Jose Raul Capablanca, Alexander Alekhine, Bobby Fischer, and Garry Kasparov.

DrawMaster

Very possibly. He is amazingly strong and composed for such a young person. If he achieves this goal, I hope he wears the crown well.

kco

Yes is will be good to see Magnus going for the world tiile soon. Just wondering as the wold title match coming up next year 2010 when is the next one and is it a three years cycle? 

philidorposition
kco wrote:

Yes is will be good to see Magnus going for the world tiile soon. Just wondering as the wold title match coming up next year 2010 when is the next one and is it a three years cycle?

Not sure, I know the Candidates Tournament for the challenger will be held on 2011 though.

trigs

carlsen will not be able to contend for challenger for the world championship until 2011 i believe.

philidorposition
trigs wrote:

carlsen will not be able to contend for challenger for the world championship until 2011 i believe.

Yes, he made it certain he will participate in that candidates tournament by rating, but he'll have to win it, and it's no easy deal. I think that the WC match wouldn't be any sooner than 2012.

orangehonda

Personally I'd like Anand to keep the title a little longer.  Let the old guard hold out for a few more cycles.

But weather Anand looses the title sooner or later a dominate player who is clearly at the top is always exciting IMO, and who better than Carlsen Smile

skylark

He does well to juggle his chess and acting careers. Does anyone know when he'll be reviving his Jason Bourne character for the next Bourne Conspiracy movie?

orangehonda
skylark wrote:

He does well to juggle his chess and acting careers. Does anyone know when he'll be reviving his Jason Bourne character for the next Bourne Conspiracy movie?

lol !!

I never thought how much he looks like Matt Damon.

nqi

There's going to be some very interesting battles in the future - Carlsen may be leading the young guns at the moment but there's still the likes of Aronian, Karjikan and possibly So who will be competing for many years in the future.

lollolbuddha
Gokukid wrote:

Nowadays people are much more interested in Magnus Carlsen than world champion Viswanathan Anand .

NO ONE  is interested about Norway's chess ROBOT

SourinBhatt

Well friends Radjabov is a far better chess player than Magnus....and Vishwanathan Anand is still the champ.

Scottrf
SourinBhatt wrote:

Well friends Radjabov is a far better chess player than Magnus....and Vishwanathan Anand is still the champ.

Sure he is:

Classical games: Magnus Carlsen beat Teimour Radjabov 6 to 1, with 16 draws.
Including rapid/exhibition games: Magnus Carlsen beat Teimour Radjabov 13 to 5, with 22 draws.

Deantasanto

And now, Magnus is the World champion. A prediction made four years ago is now a reality.

hemidemisemiquaver1

Let's hope! ;)

elm2007

well he is now world champion on the 2800 and an inncoreddible player wow carlsen hes the champion