Forums

magnus carlsen vs vishy anand

Sort:
Rasparovov
Genghiskhant wrote:

He is much stronger than most yet he draws fairly frequently. I think I read 50% somewhere. He may be relatively happy with a draw

50% draw and 49% win seems legit to me.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

It would be a close, tough match, but Carlsen's youthful energy, will to win, and raw talent will outshine Anand's wisdom and experience at the end. 

TheGreatOogieBoogie
jesterville wrote:

@ jesterville. it's a round robin, why do you think its unfair?

......................................................................................

Because they don't get to play each other with both the Black and White pieces. Half of the participants play an extra game with White...while the other half play an extra game with Black. Clearly, those 7 with the extra White game has an advantage. The luck of the draw decides your fate.

Does white truly have an advantage, or is it just an illusion, a mental block to be overcome?  White, being the first to move, also has to reveal his hand sooner. 

GenghisCant
ScorpionPackAttack wrote:
jesterville wrote:

@ jesterville. it's a round robin, why do you think its unfair?

......................................................................................

Because they don't get to play each other with both the Black and White pieces. Half of the participants play an extra game with White...while the other half play an extra game with Black. Clearly, those 7 with the extra White game has an advantage. The luck of the draw decides your fate.

Does white truly have an advantage, or is it just an illusion, a mental block to be overcome?  White, being the first to move, also has to reveal his hand sooner. 

It's an interesting one. On one hand, people think that if both play a perfect game it would be a draw. On the other, if you look at the stats, people tend to win a bit more with white.

jesterville

A quick look reveals-

W           L            D             TOTAL

Carlsen    370        163          404           937 

%           40          17           43            100

Anand      616        193          906          1715

%           36          11           53             100

Kramnik  441         120          787          1348

%           33          9            58             100

Aronian    446        167          609          1222

%             36          14           50            100

Carlsen - 2000 to 2013

Anand - 1984 to 2013

Kramnik - 1984 to 2012

Aronian - 1993 to 2013

Of course, the more recent trend would determine how a player is performing currently, as oppose to over his lifetime.

*** Source - Chessgames.com

Scottrf

Yeah they were talking about that at chessbomb, pfren mentioned it too.

blueemu
jesterville wrote:

I would imagine that if having odd number of players would level the playing field, then a "bye" for each player would be welcomed by all. The more I contemplate about this, the more surprised I am that this is not a major issue of contention amongst players, as well as, I am surprised that organisers would not favour say the odd number of players format...to ensure the Tournament is honest. Is FIDE also silent on this?...or maybe this issue is being discussed at that level. 

... but then we would have to deal with the advantage/disadvantage conferred by the timing of the bye. Each player would get his bye in a different round of the tournament... and there's a big difference between receiving your rest day two-thirds of the way through the tournament, in between playing two very tough opponents, and receiving it in the last round, after all of your games are already finished.

FR867
rooperi wrote:

I noticed a strange thing...

On move 20, Carlsen had 1:20, and his time went down all the way to 0:49.

I was wondering why he took such a long time for the move, but as soon as he moved Qxb2, his time went back to 1:19.

Maybe a 'medical' adjournment?

I think this tournament gives you something like 100 minutes with a 30 second increment per move.

blueemu
JRTK800 wrote:
rooperi wrote:

I noticed a strange thing...

On move 20, Carlsen had 1:20, and his time went down all the way to 0:49.

I was wondering why he took such a long time for the move, but as soon as he moved Qxb2, his time went back to 1:19.

Maybe a 'medical' adjournment?

I think this tournament gives you something like 100 minutes with a 30 second increment per move.

Correct... it's 40-in-100 (forty moves in 100 minutes) followed by 20-in-50, with a 30-second increment per move.

abdulmajidsayem1
rooperi

I think Carlsen's has his nose in front now, with a win against Sokolov. Everybody else on 3½ made draws.

abdulmajidsayem1

hmm sokolov blundered at last

blueemu

Grandelius is doing pretty well in the B-section... he has been paired up every round (ie: every game has been against a higher-rated opponent) and he has a 50% score... a performance rating 50 points higher than his published rating. He lost today (round-6), but his round-5 game was pretty spectacular.

MarkRaffyLucero

when?

waffllemaster
MarkRaffyLucero wrote:

when?

3 months ago they played a game.  That's what this topic is about.

But now there is an upcoming world championship match between the two.  That will take place in November, 7 months from now.

jesterville

...a storm is coming...

Stormbringer is coming

abdulmajidsayem1
Angom_Nongsha_Singh wrote:

Still how much time left for the game to start?? Anybody?

its in november buddy

cyberdynsystemsmodel

hmmm it starts

abdulmajidsayem1

hmmm