Forums

Magnus, what happened man

Sort:
madhacker

Caruana is quality, this didn't surprise me at all.

AngeloPardi

Kramnik, what happened man

Knightly_News
ah93704559 wrote:

its so funny listening to you neophyte chessplayers trying to ascertain the play of a master like Carlson or Anand..it is quite laughable

What about Neo fight! Chess players:

blake78613
Estragon wrote:

Carlsen has a habit of starting slow, and if he is going  to lose a game in  tournament, it is more likely to be early.  The late losses at London and Norway this year go against his trend over the last few years.

The interesting thing is that while most of his losses in recent years have come in trying to win even positions where he could easily have forced a draw, this one against Caruana and the loss to Wang in Norway were both caused by him botching endgames that weren't so complicated.  This is really surprising, especially since his reputation has been built as the guy who grinds you down in the ending, forcing you to make only moves repeatedly until you falter.

But it is also possible that Carlsen is finally beginning to feel the pressure of being at the top and being the favored challenger for the title.  He is being criticized for second places at Super-GM tournaments; when they were in their primes as #1 players, Fischer and Karpov and Kasparov won almost every single tournament (but of course Carlsen's schedule is far tougher than any of theirs, just due to the number of Super-GM events being held).

Up to now, Carlsen has appeared to get to the top almost effortlessly.  This  year may be his first real challenge in several years.

Karpov and Kasparov played when there were adjournments.  Time after time they would avoid a critical position before adjournment, and then let their army of seconds burn the midnight oil while they got a good night's sleep.  Carlsen doesn't have that option.

varelse1

Caruana just lost to Nakamura.

Fabiano, what happened, man?

fabelhaft
Estragon wrote:

He is being criticized for second places at Super-GM tournaments; when they were in their primes as #1 players, Fischer and Karpov and Kasparov won almost every single tournament (but of course Carlsen's schedule is far tougher than any of theirs, just due to the number of Super-GM events being held).

Carlsen has done well lately though. Of his last seven tournaments he has won five, and in the remaining two he was 0.5 from first. Karpov and Kasparov had some amazing sequences but also periods when they won less tournaments than Carlsen has done the last years. Fischer didn't play all that many top tournaments since there were few of them back then.

Sooner or later Carlsen should have a comparatively bad tournament though, maybe it will come in Tal Memorial. There have been so many top tournaments this year that it must be difficult to recharge the batteries properly for all of them.

sapientdust

Calm down, people. Magnus just thrashed Anand in less than 30 moves.

MrDamonSmith
superking500 wrote: what happened, he lost to caruana.... idk about you guys, but does it seem like magnus has hit a slump,  VISHY, WHAT HAPPENED MAN? I don't know about you guys....he lost to Carlsen, but does it seem like Vishy has hit a slump. Has 2013 been a good year for him??? He finished 6th in Norway and is in the bottom half of this tournament. I don't know......... I guess Ill go post another idiotic thread somewhere else now just to show how little I really understand about chess and tournament competition in general. he came in second at noat tal so far