Forums

Mental problems of a chess player!

Sort:
TMtinymaster

Have you ever felt a problem in your mental activity that can be refered to playing chess?

A very Important bad result of playing chess on our behaviour is that we always try to guess other people's goals.If we call it mind reading , I should say that this mind readings are usually in minus area because it has became our mind's habit to find out what's our opponent' bad plan for us.In the community ,Automatically people become our opponents and we deal with them as a chess player:

Why did he/she do that?

-He/She wanted to humilate me.

-He/She just wanted to abuse me to help himself/herself.

-He/She thinks that I don't know what he/she wants to do.

Of course in this black world these thoughts can save us from some dangers but what about when we are in relations with  people who are trusted and we don't know them and what about the people which we like them and they like us.

It can hurt us !

And it's better we don't see somethings about them even when they are probably against us.

I could find some articles in the web that proves it can be worst.I have brought one of the best links here with a part of that:

Chess is Bad for Your Mind :

"GM Akiba Rubenstein was another chess player who had mental problems. He suffered general schizophrenia, as well as an abnormal fear of people and society. These problems resulted in his departure from competitive chess in 1932, and his mental condition is reported to have actually saved his life. When the Nazis arrived at his asylum to lead him to the death camps his condition was such that they decided to leave him to his fate."

Tell me have you ever felt something like that in your life?

TetsuoShima

nah i disagree its better to be over cautious then feeling sorry. But yes you are right chess is great it makes us way more smarter.

TMtinymaster
TetsuoShima wrote:

nah i disagree its better to be over cautious then feeling sorry. But yes you are right chess is great it makes us way more smarter.

I advise you to look deeper in your behaviour and then reply again.

DrSpudnik

This issue has come up before. Most chess players are not insane. Some insane people seem to play chess.

kco
DrSpudnik wrote:

This issue has come up before. Most chess players are not insane. Some insane people seem to play chess.

We know who excatly we are talking about don't we ?  Wink

cesurpawn

morphy killed himself and fisher crazy ,these are well known crazy chess people

TMtinymaster
cesurpawn wrote:

Thanks for your comment.The angelic soul of the eastern people is always honorable.

TetsuoShima
cesurpawn wrote:

well morphy died of stroke in the shower after a long walk and Fischer never ever was crazy. There is a tiny difference between a person who is crazy and a person who says something you dont like to hear.

TetsuoShima

no Fischer didnt have mental problems, just because people say it doesnt make it true.

TetsuoShima

also obsessive and socially disfunction is not actually a mental illness its just a personality trait. Not to mention that there are millions of chessplayers so necessarily we have all type of personalities in chess.

GenghisCant

I saw an interview with Magnus Carlsen where he was asked about his mental state and if he worries that chess may make him a little mad one day.

He said that, for him, it is a slight concern as it seems to have happened to some other brilliant minded players in the past. He doesn't worry about it frequently, but it is always in the back of his mind.

Of course, I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to give much more than an opinion based on limited understanding. I just thought it was an interesting response, by Magnus, to an interesting question.

eddysallin
CBA wrote:

Er...yes he did. From a very young child. His upbringing didn't help. But there's little point in a debate here.

Fischer was obsessive and did'nt care much for people his age unless they played chess.Gawky and unsure except for chess.Could care less about school work.This pretty much describes teenagers.All young people tend too over do something they enjoy, e.g. music, sports. We are all limited ,and have good / bad points. Why not remember his great chess games ?

ManicDemoN
CBA wrote:

Er...yes he did. From a very young child. His upbringing didn't help. But there's little point in a debate here.

Yeah everyone listen to CBA he was Fischer's pal he knows things...

orchard_littlejoe

Not too sure we are really on the same page. Are you being distracted from playing chess? Chess is a game. A fun game at that. The more you practice, the better you get. Pieces that try to dominate 64 sqaures. The checkmating of the king.

As far as relating the game to philosophy or mathmatics, I wouldn't get that deep.  

ManicDemoN
orchard_littlejoe wrote:

Not too sure we are really on the same page. Are you being distracted from playing chess? Chess is a game. A fun game at that. The more you practice, the better you get. Pieces that try to dominate 64 sqaures. The checkmating of the king.

As far as relating the game to philosophy or mathmatics, I wouldn't get that deep.  

Chess is not fun like playing ''Super Mario'' on Gameboy or ''Hide n seek'' in the woods. And almost everything is related to philosophy or mathematics

ManicDemoN
CBA wrote:

OK. apart from psychiatrists, let's look at what his fellow chess players thought:

"At a 1958 tournament in Yugoslavia, Mikhail Tal, a legendary attacking grandmaster and one-time world champion, mocked chess prodigy Bobby Fischer for being “cuckoo.” Tal’s taunting may have been a deliberate attempt to rattle Fischer, then just 15 but already a major force in the highly competitive world of high-level chess. But others from that world — including a number of grandmasters who’d spent time with him — thought Fischer not just eccentric, but deeply troubled. At a tournament in Bulgaria four years later, U.S. grandmaster Robert Byrne suggested that Fischer see a psychiatrist, to which Fischer replied that “a psychiatrist ought to pay [me] for the privilege of working on [my] brain.”
According to journalist Dylan Loeb McClain, Hungarian-born grandmaster Pal Benko commented, “I am not a psychiatrist, but it was obvious he was not normal. … I told him, ‘You are paranoid,’ and he said that ‘paranoids can be right.’”

*if you have time, this is an interesting read

http://www.psmag.com/culture-society/a-psychological-autopsy-of-bobby-fischer-25959/

Well apart from the fact that neither Tal neither Benko where psychiatrists, you can also check the positive Grandmaster quotes about Fischer...Just for a change..Check what Seirawan said for example...

TetsuoShima
CBA wrote:

OK. apart from psychiatrists, let's look at what his fellow chess players thought:

"At a 1958 tournament in Yugoslavia, Mikhail Tal, a legendary attacking grandmaster and one-time world champion, mocked chess prodigy Bobby Fischer for being “cuckoo.” Tal’s taunting may have been a deliberate attempt to rattle Fischer, then just 15 but already a major force in the highly competitive world of high-level chess. But others from that world — including a number of grandmasters who’d spent time with him — thought Fischer not just eccentric, but deeply troubled. At a tournament in Bulgaria four years later, U.S. grandmaster Robert Byrne suggested that Fischer see a psychiatrist, to which Fischer replied that “a psychiatrist ought to pay [me] for the privilege of working on [my] brain.”
According to journalist Dylan Loeb McClain, Hungarian-born grandmaster Pal Benko commented, “I am not a psychiatrist, but it was obvious he was not normal. … I told him, ‘You are paranoid,’ and he said that ‘paranoids can be right.’”

http://www.psmag.com/culture-society/a-psychological-autopsy-of-bobby-fischer-25959/

that proves absolutly nothing,  Psychologists arent no doctors and no scientists and who cares what byrne or others said. Its like you labeling someone something, what worth does it have? none at all. What psychologists says or what average joe says its absolutly the same, it is just an opinion nothing more. Anyway we both know Bobby wasnt crazy, this is now my last post here.

landwehr

play almost 500 games at once and you will be in danger of going mental,believe me

ManicDemoN
CBA wrote:
manic13 wrote:
CBA wrote:

Well apart from the fact that neither Tal neither Benko where psychiatrists, you can also check the positive Grandmaster quotes about Fischer...Just for a change..Check what Seirawan said for example...

That quote starts with "apart from psychiatrists". As in "here are people who aren't psychiatrists." Sorry if you had trouble following that.

As far as Seirawan goes, are you referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLrGObRPA3k

If so he talks about Fischer's angst, his belief Russians cheated and his conviction that he was the wrong party - all symptoms. And he never says anything along the lines "I think he was mentally normal."

Did you read the link I provided?

It is called an emphasis. It shows how unreliable the quotes you present are. As for Seirawan i was reffering to that: Yasser Seirawan wrote, "After September 23 [1992], I threw most of what I'd ever read about Bobby out of my head. Sheer garbage. Bobby is the most misunderstood, misquoted celebrity walking the face of the earth."[262][263] Seirawan wrote that Fischer is not camera shy, "smiles and laughs easily", and "is a wholly enjoyable conversationalist. A fine wit, he is a very funny man."[264]

CrimsonKnight7

Lol, perhaps they were just trying to rattle him. Pre board psychological warfare. However, Fischer was obviously not normal. He rattled Spassky, by all his demands and weird behavior, and it was wacko (at least in my opinion, perhaps it was political pressure, I don't know) Spassky just wanted to play.

The World Championship games between Fischer and Spassky almost didn't  even get played, at least some of them anyway which would have cancelled the whole match, because of Fischers demands, and erratic behavior, whether legit or not, some were way overboard. Just my 2 cents  for whatever they are worth.

I wasn't there, and that was from the book Games of the Century I believe ( it has all the games in it. Perhaps that was put in there to sale books, I did see a couple interviews with Fischer, and he may have been like that.