Forums

Most significant square(s). Yours?

Sort:
InfiniteFlash

For me, it is no contest. The f5 and c5 squares haunt me as both colors really. Strangely, not vise-versa with f4 and c4.

I do not know why, but a lot of the time, it appears to be a tell-tale sign of the health of the positions I get, whether its the control, or mobility through these squares.

What are some key or important squares do you see constantly emphasized in your games or even calculation? 

I am not asking what is the most important square in general. I am asking what square(s) tends to show the greatest significance in your games and calculation.

Phylar

Well, I do not know. However, I will point out that your point total is, as of this post, 1 higher than your rating.

Good show!

Apoapsis

The Sicilian focuses on the d4 square.

falcogrine

I've had a few games where everything revolved around c4. Other than that, it changes a lot.

Irontiger
xbigboy wrote:

The Sicilian focuses on the d4 square.

d5, rather.

If you are asking for the squares that mysteriously appear to play a great role in my game (with no rational reason), I must admit I usually love planting a knight on f5/f4. But of course the most important squares are the central squares...

chasm1995

I guess whichever squares white focuses on in Queen's pawn with c4 as my second move always, and black in Sicilian and Queen's pawn game.

NimzoRoy
Randomemory wrote:

What are some key or important squares do you see constantly emphasized in your games or even calculation? 

I am not asking what is the most important square in general. I am asking what square(s) tends to show the greatest significance in your games and calculation.

Beats me - I never thought about it this way. In general I would guess the 4 central sqs d4-d5-e4-e5 would be high up in my "favorite sqs" list, at least in the openings and to a somewhat lesser extent in middlegames.

meaca

i'm always after an attack on the castle so h7, g7

Doc_who_loves_chess

For me at least, one of the significant squares is the flight square.  Has your opponent made sure they have given their castled king a flight square? If not, they may well snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if this all important square is not attended to...

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/chess-experiment-how-much-does-three-pints-of-beer-impact-your-chess-ability

TheBigDecline

It's the square ... the big one, of which all the other ones are mere fragments.

Dragonbice

I'd say Magnus Carlsen - He's such a square!Surprised

varelse1

X8 with the white pieces.

X1 with the black pieces.

X equalling whichever file my passed pawn is on. A-HTongue Out

pdve

the e5 square is important

strngdrvnthng

In the initial position f2 and f7 are defended only by the King. In certain lines of the Sicilian, as black, I am very wary of sacrifices on f7 and e6.

varelse1

Much will depend on what openings you play.

With white, I play the English. Naturally, d5 is often the focal point for my pieces. Not that it is always the game changer, or anything.

With black, I will play the Sicilian. The squares c4 and c3 often make the difference.

Fear_ItseIf

Theres always something major happening on d4.

Ive always had a saying "the bishop was made to be on g5".
Since in all the fun lines it is.

Remellion

As white, I choose the QP. So it's always d5 getting my attention. I also play Bird's (stonewall or transposition to reversed budapest with f4), so e4 is usually key there.

As black... f5 and h7. I play almost exclusively the hippo now, so preventing white's f5 is key... or defending h7 if my monarch somehow comes into the line of fire. Oddly, I don't really fear Bh6xg7, nor the associated squares; they usually handle themselves in the systems I choose.

Atomic_Rift

The center squares for me!

And thank you for giving away your weakness.