Forums

My Games in Notts League - 2019

Sort:
johnnypawnstar

OK, new season. Let's go. I play white.

jwtmoore

Neat!

johnnypawnstar

Missed a game here. I was black, KID against d4. Was up a pawn with a better pawn structure and then blundered a rook and resigned. Lost the transcript though. Honest. 

johnnypawnstar

Game three: I play black.

and from here the knight drops for nothing so I resigned.

My opponent was ECF 142, so much higher rated than me (ECF 92) so not too disappointed.

jwtmoore

I think it went wrong at 11. a3 Na6. It put your knight in a dodgy position. Should have gone to Nc3.

Any way good luck on the next one!

johnnypawnstar

jwtmoore wrote:

I think it went wrong at 11. a3 Na6. It put your knight in a dodgy position. Should have gone to Nc3.

Any way good luck on the next one!

But after Nc3, the pawn takes, pushing me back anyway no? I think it was maybe even earlier, I think 7. ... e5 was bad, allowing him to push his own pawn forward and dominate the center. I'm gonna do the computer analysis now.

johnnypawnstar

Well the computer says I should have chased the bishop away with (7 ... h6) instead of 7 ... e5 but that it wasn't a terrible move in general. It didn't mind 11. ... Na6 too much either but really wasn't keen on me putting my knight back on the edge of board after I'd previously centralised it with  16. ... Na6. (Amongst other inaccuracies!!). 

jwtmoore

Well I guess the computer knows best... I do agree that it was bad having your knight on the edge and I always hate it when that pesky bishop threatens on g5 but I am always too aggresive.

johnnypawnstar

Next game, I play white on board two,

my opponent is 121 ECF:

johnnypawnstar

With 8 mins on the clock to my opponents 30 something, I offered a draw. He asked his captain the score, who said 4-0 (to their team) and too my surprise, he accepted. He then said that if play continued, he was going to gang up on my backward pawn, and didn't think I could stop him. I guess he was happy to settle knowing his team had won?

jwtmoore

I think a draw was fair. So your draw was your team's best result...

johnnypawnstar

I play black:

jwtmoore

Did you resign...?

johnnypawnstar

Next game, I play white:

Spoiler Alert: My opponent resigned at this point.

jwtmoore

Neat! Congratulations. How old were they?

johnnypawnstar
jwtmoore wrote:

Neat! Congratulations. How old were they?

Almost as old you!! Well, almost.

johnnypawnstar

Missed a few games for various reasons but back on it:

At this point, I offered my much higher rated opponent a draw and he accepted.  

jwtmoore

Why offer a draw? The game had only just warmed up... Anyway a draw is better than a defeat.