Forums

My Ridiculous Sac

Sort:
ja734

so, in a blitz game today i was in the following position, and i made one of the best combinations ive ever made in my life. this may be obvious to a lot of you, but im not that good at chess, so this was huge for me.

after Qxg2, i was a bit stumped, but i came up with a killer combo. see if you can figure it out and scroll down to see the answer.

again, this mightve been obvious, but it just made me so excited i had to share it.

Ichibanov

Nice!

AndyClifton

good one!

waffllemaster

Well done.

Jeffreak

castling on move 12 might have been better.

papagar

Great!

yellowserge

Well done!  I'm glad you posted.

Wizard_Chess97

Nicely done! Looks like Tactics Trainer has been paying off.  Wink It's also cool that this is completely forced: after Nxb6+, cxb5 is the only legal move, then after Rxd8+ the only other move is Kc7 where you'd play Bxb6+ anyway and pick up even more material. It's always fun to see tactical combinations like this. Laughing

Joseline_d

thx

JRTK73

Well done! I wish I could do something like that! As Maroon5 mentioned it is good that the combination was forced and you didn't just win material from an opponent's blunder.

shepi13

But he did just win material from an opponent's blunder. Qxg2 seems like a pretty obvious mistake - and I believe hanging a queen counts as a blunder.

mvtjc
shepi13 wrote:

But he did just win material from an opponent's blunder. Qxg2 seems like a pretty obvious mistake - and I believe hanging a queen counts as a blunder.

It isn't technically hanging, so it was captured due to a tactic.

AndyClifton

I wouldn't say it's that obvious of a mistake...

JEMORANGE

nice! wicked you picked that up in a blitz game too! keep it up! this is the kind of stuff that makes you addicted to chess

JRTK73
shepi13 wrote:

It might be obvious to you but you are clearly a very good player. At the skill level he was playing most players would have missed that especially in a blitz game. If it is obvious to you then well done - you are a super chess player. I would have played Qxg2 in that situation and most often would get away with it.

waffllemaster

I don't think I would have foreseen this tactic in a blitz game as black... I mean if the last move was the suspicious Bf2 then ok, I'd be on the look out heh.  If they were rated 1200 I'd likely just grab the pawn without worrying about it (and have to resign not so many moves later it seems).

shepi13

I wouldn't take the pawn, even if I hadn't calculated. Allowing discovered attacks on your queen is generally a bad idea. I would however probably play an equally bad move, like Qf6??

ecstazcou3

your pieces were really at the right place at the right time :), well done if you did indeed do this.

lakshashishu

Nice!

eddysallin

Grasshopper..u have done well.