Forums

NM

Sort:
ChefSDB

What do the different abbreviations mean in front of peoples screen names  ie:  NM etc.  I assume it has something to do with "master"?

Patzer24

NM - National Master

FM - FIDE Master

WFM - Womans FIDE Master

IM - International Master

WIM - Womans International Master

GM - Grand Master

WGM - Womans Grand Master 

Graw81

NM is National Master.

GM is Grand Master. (2500+)

IM is international Master. (2400+)

FM is Fide Master. (2300+)

The female equivilant has a W in front. e.g. WGM 

Super GM is 2600+ i think. 

ChefSDB
Are the ratings strictly based on rankings?  If I acheive a 2500, will I automatically be considered a GM?
western_burn
No. Your chess.com rating will only win you respect on chess.com. nothing else.
ChefSDB
Ah, so to get a rating in the real world, I have to play live, professional chess?
Redwall
but if you play a tornament OTB and get raited 2500, youl be considerd in class with the GM
ChefSDB

What's OTB.  I think I was there once.  Lost a lot of money on the horses

Redwall
Lol. Over The Bord
ChefSDB
Good point Snookslayer.  Why don't they have the same classifications for men as for women? 
Smartattack
Graw81 wrote:

NM is National Master.

GM is Grand Master. (2500+)

IM is international Master. (2400+)

FM is Fide Master. (2300+)

The female equivilant has a W in front. e.g. WGM 

Super GM is 2600+ i think. 

Super GM is not a FIDE title, but if u want to use it, fits better to 2700+ players

TheOldReb
WGM and GM are separate because GM is based on 2500 or better while WGM is 2300 or better. Also, there are "norms" involved with GM, not sure about WGM or WIM, concerning norms.
ChefSDB
OK, so why is it that women need to be "handicapped?" by the rating system.  Do women and men really play that differently?
Redwall
there aren't as many female chess player simply, less players less points required to be called GM
camdawg7
well WGM sounds like an insult to women if you ask me.  its like saying "well you are good... for a girl."
laifot
camdawg7 wrote: well WGM sounds like an insult to women if you ask me.  its like saying "well you are good... for a girl."

men are better at chess than women.. i think that's why they call it that way.

fischer-inactive
Snookslayer wrote:

If it were intergrated, there would be plenty of players for females to play.  Not as many female opponets, but what's the difference?  To me it sounds like they're quietly admitting that women generally aren't as good at chess as men. Who knows - maybe that's true.  I guess one could argue that long drawn out tournaments are not only mentally draining, but physical which gives men an advantage. ?

Please do your homework on this subject before making such comments. The GM and IM titles can be earned by both men AND women. The WGM and WIM titles are only available to women. They have the option of playing in regular tournaments and/or women's tournaments.

Loomis
http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/men-vs-women
fischer-inactive
ChefSDB wrote:Are the ratings strictly based on rankings?  If I acheive a 2500, will I automatically be considered a GM?

No, the posts that listed those ratings are slightly misleading because it implies that one automatically becomes a GM once that rating is achieved, and this is most certainly NOT the case. The exact procedure is fairly complex, but in a nutshell, a player must also achieve three GM norms in order to earn that title.

fischer-inactive
Snookslayer wrote:

lighten up bob.

Sorry about that, it's just that this topic has been discussed to death in other threads.