Forums

NO GRANDMASTERS!!!! NO PLAYERS!!!!!

Sort:
firestare500

Many of my friends that play on other chess servers dont want to play on chess.com because the lack of grand masters. They say that its not a good chess site because there are few grandmasters and they think the ones here are getting payed to play here. Is anything we could do to get more grandmasters and masters in general?

erik

ICC is the one who paid GMs to play :) we have never paid anyone to play on the site.

how many of your friends think they will get to play GMs if they are here? :)

are your friends all in high school in beverly hills? i can picture them saying "the food at that restaurant must not be any good. there are no celebrities eating there."

come for the people and the features. NOBODY has the same friendly community we do, NOBODY offers as much for free, and NOBODY has as many features and benefits in one place.

:)

dwaxe

Wait. Our site will never have the number of Grandmasters of ICC, but we have more grandmasters than any other correspondence chess site (someone confirm that for me).

edit: just got ninja'd by Erik

Ellbert

I play for the Chess game, not for who I am playing.

erik

i don't really care to start playing status cards with other sites. :) we have lots of great players (great both in playing strength and in personality).

we're the most visited chess site on the internet. we must be doing something right :)

firestare500

I have managed some of my friends to come, and they love it (eldeon101 and sewtew) but i have a few friends, and one of them holds the world record for most moves in a one minute match, that say that its not a quality website if it hasent attracted GMs. Whats really amazing is that one of them is a chess coach!

I thnk its just a few stubborn people in this world that never want to try anything new...

but could still mabye contact a few grandmasters and tell them to try this site out? I know they will never leave.

GotGoose

http://www.chess.com/members/titled_players.html

firestare500

yes, i saw the list, and saw we have many titeled players, but there are like over 5000 titled players. lol.

TheAOD

I think it just takes time.  Some people really are stubborn.  I can't get my friend who plays on Red Hot Pawn to play here because his dad and his dad's friends play there.  It's hard to get everyone to make the change.  You have to learn a slightly different system and adjust to a different board.  That's not a change that's important to people.  I think what's more important is that this is "Chess".com, in the sense that the name is better and the features are better.  It's sort of a "If you build it they will come" scenario.  As the features get better and better and live chess gets better and better more people will make the switch, and as they do more great players will want to go "where the action is."  That's just my opinion. 

C-Saw

I've played on ICC for years and NEVER ever gotten to play a grandmaster!and probably never will. That isnt what makes a great place to play if you ask me...

Chess_Champion26

firestare500 wrote:

Many of my friends that play on other chess servers dont want to play on chess.com because the lack of grand masters. They say that its not a good chess site because there are few grandmasters and they think the ones here are getting payed to play here. Is anything we could do to get more grandmasters and masters in general?

I like that i can talk to players with my level of play and not people who could kill me at chess, we don't need any grandmasters, plus i could just say i am even though im not, If your friends dont wanna come here for a lack of grandmasters they're very foolish and they dont know what they're missing!!!

Marshal_Dillon

firestare500 wrote:

What's it matter how many GM's a site has? I would bet most of the players you think are GM's on other sites aren't at all. It takes more than just a rating to make a GM. Unless your friends are GM's themselves, they aren't going to get any games against any real GM's anyway, at least not for free. GM's who play on chess sites usually do it to promote their coaching service and you have to pay if you want to play. 

shuttlechess92

realistically speaking, grandmasters do not have time to play chess online, do they?  They can not spend valuable time which could have been possible training.  If you are talking about retired grandmasters, then they would be virtually equal to others of their same rating, right?  Chess.com has plenty of masters, in this underrated fide system nowadays you just may not know, some of these international masters are grandmaster material.

Pegrin

The topic should be "A few Grandmasters! 44,647 players!" Laughing

Do titled players get premium membership for being active (playing, blog, forum, etc.)? I bet that those titled players who participate will attract some students for their coaching services. I agree with some other people that finding players of my own level is the most important thing, but having some more certifiably excellent players can't hurt.

grey_pieces

firestare500 wrote:

yes, i saw the list, and saw we have many titeled players, but there are like over 5000 titled players. lol.

And you expect they would all play on the same site? Many of these people cannot stand each other, and I guarantee you that more than a few of them have absolutely no interest in internet chess.

As others have said, its really not about who uses a site, but what the site has to offer. Show them the tactics trainer. Show them Chess Mentor. Show them the current tournament lists.

And how many games do your friends generally get to play against these GM's on other sites? If all they want is to be cleaned off the board, show them live chess ( albeit not from IE ;-) ). I'm sure Rusadan willl give them their 30 seconds if they stand in line with the others.

Nilesh021

Does it matter? Few here can play at that level or appreciate the games.

bobobbob

I heard that half the world's grandmasters have an account on ICC. The reason is that ICC gives free membership to Grandmasters. Maybe Chess.com can do that too?

Duffer1965

Dmytro wrote:

The another problem is a lot of bigenners. I played Live chess here. I wanted to play with a player with a rating of 1500 or higher... It's difficult to find such players! Is this site a site for patzers?

Yes, this is a site for patzers. Glad you could join us.

Evil_Homer

LOL

firestare500

bobobbob wrote:

I heard that half the world's grandmasters have an account on ICC. The reason is that ICC gives free membership to Grandmasters. Maybe Chess.com can do that too?

what would 30 dollars a year be to a grand master?