Forums

Nobody has yet become a Grandmaster by watching chess videos... True or False?

Sort:
Michael-G
Scottrf wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

Nothing is better than a good book , a chess board , and a friend that can answer your questions.In an hour, you can learn more than you can learn in 30 hours of chess videos.

Absolute subjective and arbitrary garbage. It takes the same amount of time to speak in a video and real life, you don't have to set up the position, how can it possibly be so much quicker with a book and board. Depends completely on the video.

Maybe you don't like videos, maybe they don't help you, but it doesn't make any of what you say correct.

Exactly that is the main problem.Confused ignorants like you can convince other confused ignorants.You don't even know the basics but you think you can have an opinion.It's like not knowing driving and believe that you can train drivers, is it possible?

Scottrf
gattaca wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

Nothing is better than a good book , a chess board , and a friend that can answer your questions.In an hour, you can learn more than you can learn in 30 hours of chess videos.

Absolute subjective and arbitrary garbage. It takes the same amount of time to speak in a video and real life, you don't have to set up the position, how can it possibly be so much quicker with a book and board. Depends completely on the video.

Maybe you don't like videos, maybe they don't help you, but it doesn't make any of what you say correct.

It could be interesting to give us some examples of those who actually improve their play with video.

How do I know what other people use apart from myself? It's helped me improve, I doubt most people get to my level of play in a couple of months with books. But that's only ever anecdotal evidence which is useless.

Scottrf
Michael-G wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

Exactly that is the main problem.Confused ignorants like you can convince other confused ignorants.You don't even know the basics but you think you can have an opinion.It's like not knowing driving and believe that you can train drivers, is it possible?

You realise I'm a beginner? I would wager I'm better than you were after the same length of time.

In fact, by you saying videos are useless, you're actually invalidating your own 'position of authority' argument, seeing as grandmasters make videos and obviously think they are useful.

RightSDuff

False! I'm a beginer to intermediate and I find practice and book study are more beneficial than watching videos. Therefore I find it very hard to believe that one could become a GM by watching videos alone, absurd even, think about it!!

gattaca
Michael-G wrote:

You don't even know the basics but you think you can have an opinion.It's like not knowing driving and believe that you can train drivers, is it possible?

Without disrespect, no need to be a genius to have an opinion though I got your point. An insulting talk does not make an argument more valid.

George1st

True is the answer. Easier? Understand now?????

Michael-G
Scottrf wrote:
gattaca wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

It could be interesting to give us some examples of those who actually improve their play with video.

How do I know what other people use apart from myself? It's helped me improve, I doubt most people get to my level of play in a couple of months with books. But that's only ever anecdotal evidence which is useless.

You are a member of chess.com  for more than 18 months, God knows how many years you play chess  and you are at 1582.

I helped a friend and from 900 got a 1650+ in just six months and he plays even better( and I am not even teacher).

You have to rethink how much the Videos help you or just waisting your time.Because 1550+ in 18 months is actually not help at all.

Scottrf
Michael-G wrote:

You are a member of chess.com  for more than 18 months, God knows how many years you play chess  and you are at 1582.

I helped a friend and from 900 got a 1650+ in just six months and he plays even better( and I am not even teacher).

You have to rethink how much the Videos help you or just waisting your time.Because 1550+ in 18 months is actually not help at all.

Take a look at when I played my first game. I barely did anything on here 18 months ago, I barely have 2 months of study, did almost nothing before that. I'll help you out.

All I said is your 'learn in 15 minutes what a video would teach in an hour' is plainly nonsense, an arbitrary figure, and that all videos are different, and all people learn differently.

Daeru

I hate these discussions, why do you have to choose one of these? I use both videos and books. I don't have a friend/coach who can train me, but these resources are enough for me and I'd never think of giving up one of them; studying would start to become boring.

Michael-G
gattaca wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

You don't even know the basics but you think you can have an opinion.It's like not knowing driving and believe that you can train drivers, is it possible?

Without disrespect, no need to be a genius to have an opinion though I got your point. An insulting talk does not make an argument more valid.

It is not an insult to be an ignorant beginner.We all have been there.The problem is when one doesn't know it and  thinks he is better than that.He is a problem to himself and to others.Put someone that doesn't know driving to teach driving.What do you get?Deaths(in chess you get even more confused beginners, most of them never really learn what they must do).

Is it an insult to call him ignorant  and tell him to wait until he first learn? Or the truth?

Scottrf

I'm not ignorant and I'm not teaching beginners, simply stating facts.

Fact 1. Your figure is arbitrary, unless you have evidence of this 15 minutes vs 1 hour statement?

Fact 2. People learn differently.

The ignorance is in your statements, not mine.

gattaca
Michael-G wrote:
gattaca wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

It is not an insult to be an ignorant beginner.We all have been there.The problem is when one doesn't know it and  thinks he is better than that.He is a problem to himself and to others.Put someone that doesn't know driving to teach driving.What do you get?Deaths(in chess you get even more confused beginners, most of them never really learn what they must do).

Is it an insult to call him ignorant  and tell him to wait until he first learn? Or the truth?

What I call 'insulting' is more the way you speak than the words you choose:

Michael-G wrote:

You don't even know the basics but you think you can have an opinion.

A little bit overkill isn't it?

Anyway, I got you; someone who doesn't know driving should not teach it to someone else, no argument about that and similar stuff.

Michael-G wrote:

Nope. Just rude, very rude and not useful at all, if your goal was to help.

Scottrf
gattaca wrote:

Anyway, I got you; someone who doesn't know driving should not teach it to someone else, no argument about that and similar stuff.

I get that, but it's an irrelevant point seeing as I wasn't teaching chess, just disagreeing with his statements.

gattaca
Scottrf wrote:
gattaca wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

I must admit I'm really skeptical about that video stuff, perhaps because my goals can't be achieve by that kind of training. At some point, those videos will become pointless for you. I guess I just forgot how much it was painful in my beginning to find a right plan. Now I'm not a beginner anymore, I (may be) bash too easily on these method in which I don't trust.

Scottrf
gattaca wrote:

I must admit I'm really skeptical about that video stuff, perhaps because my goals can't be achieve by that kind of training. At some point, those videos will become pointless for you. I guess I just forgot how much it was painful in my beginning to find a right plan. Now I'm not a beginner anymore, I (may be) bash too easily on these method in which I don't trust.

It depends what you're learning, but to teach certain concepts they can be helpful. As can a teacher, as can a book. There's no single correct way, you'll need to play some chess too.

strochess

Use all learning outlets, espeically playing people that are better than you. Learn from your mistakes.

gattaca
Scottrf wrote:
gattaca wrote:

I get that, but it's an irrelevant point seeing as I wasn't teaching chess, just disagreeing with his statements.

I just acknowledge the veracity of a logical proposition, whether the proposition was based on a true fact or not does not alter the logic of the proposition.

Nowhere I suggest it would mean you was effectively teaching chess.

My point was to retain his attention on the way he was speaking, not to test the veracity of his sources.

varunrambharose

not sure whether one can be a GM or not by watching chess videos, but i for sure have learnt a lot from the videos in chess.com, i was out of chess for close to 8 years and i had an extremely bad form....my schedule also doesnt even allow me to devote time for serious chess study....the videos really helped me to perform well in a tournament which i played after a gap of 8 close to years...i scored 7.5 out of 10 rounds and increased my Fide ratings by 124 points....

before i sign off let me ask you all a question, if you think chess videos dont work then why do you think that coaching camps are good source of learning chess...well in both cases you are taught similar concepts....the role of the videos is to trigger ur brain to think in a different ways and i think chess.com is doing a good job in that regard....

Players upto 2200 level have lots to learn from these videos, mark my words....

bugoobiga

you can't just watch videos, you also have to play games and compete.

netzach

Yes i can understand Michael-G's frustration at Scottrf's statements (youthful-arrogance perhaps but misguided). 

The assessment of a complex-chess position requires far more than simple learning-by-rote from books or videos (though these will do no harm)

Unlikely you will become GM this way as further & less easily-defined skills are required. Few people possess enough of these to make GM.

One video that '' may '' be worth watching again is this cameo-portrait of our current top-rated human-being in the World at chess :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_v9mTfhC8

What struck me when watching that was his comment that he '' Just looks at the board & he knows what to move ''. This cannot be learned from a video or book.